Are Orpingtons slower to mature?

Dunwoody-Jen

Chirping
Feb 23, 2019
Hi all. We started a flock of 5 from chicks back in February. 2 turned out to be roosters and were rehomed and we lost one pullet to what the vet said was mist likely a neurological problem. We are down to 2, an Easter Egger who has been laying well since she was 23 weeks and a Lavender Orpington who hasn’t laid at all (they are now 27 weeks). The Orpington doesn’t even have well developed wattles or comb yet. Is this normal for a bird her age? In all other respects she seems normal. We just received 4 new chicks that we will be integrating in slowly.

In my experience, Iraised Orpingtons for 5 years, so not real long but long enough to pick up some breed traits, they are slower to mature. They are a large breed of poultry so they will put all their energy into growing. I've had Orpingtons take up to a year before they became reliable layers. Be patient and always have extras. If Orpingtons are a breed you intend to keep they will take longer and sometimes things just happen and you will lose one or two. They are worth the wait!!! Good luck!

Orpingtons are slow maturing, especially English Orpingtons. My English Buff Orpington rooster don't get fully grown until they are about 2 years old.

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. Lil is a sweet girl even if her adolescent stage is taking forever. I’m still an Orpington fan. Btw, how does one know whether a bird is an English Orpington or not?

Thank you for confirming what I suspected. Lil is a sweet girl even if her adolescent stage is taking forever. I’m still an Orpington fan. Btw, how does one know whether a bird is an English Orpington or not?

Did you get her from a hatchery? All hatchery Orpingtons "in the U.S. at least" are the American type. English are only available from private breeders and will much more expensive. American type Orpingtons were bred from the English type Orpingtons. But the hatcheries outcrossed them to develop a bird the matured much faster and that would lay more eggs. English Orpingtons are nearly double the size of American Orpingtons.

Did you get her from a hatchery? All hatchery Orpingtons "in the U.S. at least" are the American type. English are only available from private breeders and will much more expensive. American type Orpingtons were bred from the English type Orpingtons. But the hatcheries outcrossed them to develop a bird the matured much faster and that would lay more eggs. English Orpingtons are nearly double the size of American Orpingtons.
I am just butting in but I just got some English Jubilee Orpingtons and my cousin got some different breeds of chicks and my Orps are almost 2 weeks old with no tails and not even full wings but they are huge! And my cousin's chicks are 3 days old and they all literally have full wings and tails so I am glad I found this because I did not know that and I was like "hello? Tails?" LOL

Back
Top Bottom