Are our silkies depresessed??

Misty View

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 16, 2007
We're new to chickens. This past spring we got 7 standard chicks--2 RIRs, 1 leghorn, 1 Aurecana, 1 Delaware, 1 Buff Orph, and 1 Barred Plymouth Rock. When these chicks grew to be 2 months of age, a friend of ours gave us 2 bearded buff silkies who were supposedly 5 months and females . . .
All the chickens live together, and it's been 6 months now that we have had the silkies and all 9 of the girls have lived together. We've got a coop that attaches to a run, and when we're around the girls are allowed to free range on our farm (they love picking through our horse manure!!)
The thing is, the silkies are just really odd acting, and I'm worried they might be depressed! The two do not interact with the other chickens, and they hardly move at all. Unlike the other girls who relish running around and pecking at whatever they can, the silkies barely make it out of the coop, and when they do they just stand in their run up against the wall of the coop. Neither has layed, yet, so we're wondering if they are indeed female, but then again neither has crowed. They basically don't interact at all with the larger girls, but it's not as if they're picked on either. Even so, they seem overall terrified by life.
Do you think we should try seperating them from our standards? Should we try to find them a home where they'd be happier? Do others have experiences with this?

My silkies are more laid back compared to the other breeds. Im going to have to start trimming my silkies crest as well. She just cant see. My one pullet tips her head to the side when I walk in the pen to see whos coming. It could also be, they might be older hens. I would love to see pictures of your girls.
smile.png

Definately on the haircut thing.

Silkies are more ground chickens and less active than standards. Our female
silkie didn't start laying until 7 months. They act a lot differently than standards.
If they were roos you would know by now.

Wanna see depressed??? Seperate the two silkies for a while. They will whine
and whine and whine.

Do you hold them? Are they skittish? WIll they eat out of your hands?

You should also know that silkies are evil. Many don't believe it but it's just
a warning. They use mind control.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Wow, that makes total sense!! Thanks for all the feedback--we're going out right now to give them a haircut. I feel sort of stupid, because it now seems so obvious :|, but if it's that easy of a fix, I'll take it!!

In terms of handling--I wouldn't call them skittish, but I wouldn't say that they relish being held. But then again, if some unidentifiable large creature picked me up out of no where I might be less than enthused too. Can't wait to try the trim--will report back with results.
smile.png

You'll notice them settle down a lot once you cut their fros! I cut around their eyes and cheeks (if they are bearded) but keep the top knot big on top. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
BTW- Purple made a good point... They really don't seem as active or spaztic as others.

Back
Top Bottom