Are Owls a predator of chickens?

I have messed with Great-horned Owls a bit. Species is important so do not leave it out of discussion. Owls can be defeated by chicken wire and deer netting where the latter would appear far to flimsy. Key to such lighter materials being effective is that chickens must not be roosting close enough got owl to reach through with feet or beak.

Scaring them off is tough. Close calls with a dog trying to grab them off perch does work but their are issues of practicality and legality with that. Flashlites do not work nor do the predator dummies. My owls generally are not going after the chickens as the preferred target. They are usually in after rodents or rabbits but will go after an easy chicken.

My approach is to confine chickens at dusk and monitor periodically with spot light for owl activity. Once owl visits cease I get a little lax until owl comes back which may not be for months of even years. I first notice owl trouble by loosing a chicken. Owl kills are easy to ID. Carcass is left in place for a couple nights as I get chickens into more protected roosting quarters. Removing carcass before flock protected can result in more losses than would be realized otherwise.

Chicken wire is the worse protection. They call it cchicken wire to keep them in. Not predators out. A 2 yr old could get through chicken wire.
I suppose you aren't willing to give productive advice. I am a single woman who inhereted the chickens and coop and I know that it needs updates. My issue is getting help to do them. Any suggestions on temporary fixes?

I have messed with Great-horned Owls a bit. Species is important so do not leave it out of discussion. Owls can be defeated by chicken wire and deer netting where the latter would appear far to flimsy. Key to such lighter materials being effective is that chickens must not be roosting close enough got owl to reach through with feet or beak.

Scaring them off is tough. Close calls with a dog trying to grab them off perch does work but their are issues of practicality and legality with that. Flashlites do not work nor do the predator dummies. My owls generally are not going after the chickens as the preferred target. They are usually in after rodents or rabbits but will go after an easy chicken.

My approach is to confine chickens at dusk and monitor periodically with spot light for owl activity. Once owl visits cease I get a little lax until owl comes back which may not be for months of even years. I first notice owl trouble by loosing a chicken. Owl kills are easy to ID. Carcass is left in place for a couple nights as I get chickens into more protected roosting quarters. Removing carcass before flock protected can result in more losses than would be realized otherwise.
Well fortunately, the owl has not returned that I am aware of. The girls have been quiet even though I am not sleeping well! Who would have thought that I now worry about my dog and my chickens more than myself...lol! Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom