Are pet monkeys legal in New England?

One of my most memorable experiences was when I was able to hold a baby gorilla. She had been removed from her mother after falling and breaking her arm. So she had to be raised in the nursery until it healed. The keeper covering the nursery had to move the crib around and needed a second set of hands for a few minutes. So I sat in a chair and she handed me the baby. I will never forget the how this 'animal' looked at me with more intelligence in her eyes than I ever thought possible.

At another zoo I was at I had a Spider monkey willingly show me her new baby. It was my first day on the job and I had never met this monkey before yet she was willing to share her baby with me. So I can see why people would want a monkey or an ape for a pet but the amount of quality care they need is beyond most people. The vet care alone would be difficult. There aren't that many vets who specialize in such exotic animals.

I think that's anthropomorphosizing, actually, at a good zoo, the monkeys have a lot of room and are in a group with other monkeys and that is a lot more natural and normal.

When I see the monkeys at our local zoo, to me they don't look unhappy at all. They have a large natural area full of greenery and things to climb on and most important of all, lots of monkeys, expert veterinary care, and experts on their behavior and nutrition close at hand.

Last edited:
a friend of mine had an olive baboon and when she passed away she left her to me. She was well trained, and had pre-existing housing and diet and routine in place, and I had years to work with her and care for her in advance to get ready for when my friend passed. She was really well behaved, and predictable IF you knew olive baboon behavior protocol and did everything right in her cage. If you screwed up she would blink her eyes really big and flash her white eyelids at you and you had about two seconds to clear out or make it right or grab a hold of her to make sure you didn't get bitten or fully attacked. I had her for a few years and she choked on a carrot at feeding time. I couldn't reviver her even with CPR and she passed away in my arms. I cried, and I missed her, but LAWD I would NEVER wilfully go out and GET another primate, of any kind, ever!

It makes me feel very sad that in states where monkeys are legal pets, people would actually want them and be able to go out and get them.

I think i need to move..
lol.png

Quote:
I hear its warm in South America!

Just sayin
hide.gif

Yeah..and i can pick up some man eating parasite while i'm there too! Good times..
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom