Are red combs always a laying sign

Cornish bantams are not really meat birds. They are novelties and show birds and pets, that happen to have a fair bit of meat on them. Yes, the focus on a meaty shape meant there was less focus on egg production. But it also means that no-one focused on breeding out broodiness.

Ideal Poultry sells Cornish Bantams (various colors) and says they go broody. Of four pullets bought by myself & friends in the past few years, at least three went broody. The one I kept for myself went broody at least three times during her first summer.

But I already expected broodiness because of the one I had about 20 years before that--the second broody hen I ever had as a child.

Where did you get your Cornish Bantams? They're really fun little birds!
I got then from IDEAL, but I didn't see anything about them going broody. Oh well. Not sure i trust their shapes anyways to nest on eggs.

Or look at their butts. Even faster than going to a store for a camera.
That's at I'm planing on doing tonight. I read the article posted earlier, but got home too late to do it yesterday.

This is the gal I think is doing it. She's got the reddest comb in there, unless my phoenix male is actually laying eggs (a joke, I know he's not)
20200917_194539.jpg

I got then from IDEAL, but I didn't see anything about them going broody.

It's in the list of "Product Specs" on the page, along with a bunch of other stuff.
Rate of Lay: 104/year
Broodiness: Yes

(And it does say "Purpose: Meat," which I never paid attention to before. Most of their bantams say "Purpose: Ornamental," and I wrongly assumed they would say that for all bantams. Oops.)

I see you've got a Dark and two White Laced Red in that photo. Are they about the same size? When I had some, the White Laced Red were noticeably larger than the Spangled, so I'm curious about the relative sizes of the other colors.

It's in the list of "Product Specs" on the page, along with a bunch of other stuff.
Rate of Lay: 104/year
Broodiness: Yes

(And it does say "Purpose: Meat," which I never paid attention to before. Most of their bantams say "Purpose: Ornamental," and I wrongly assumed they would say that for all bantams. Oops.)

I see you've got a Dark and two White Laced Red in that photo. Are they about the same size? When I had some, the White Laced Red were noticeably larger than the Spangled, so I'm curious about the relative sizes of the other colors.
I had 3 WLR, 2 BLR and 1 Dark. When I still had the BLR, the dark was the smallest. Still is by a good weight differenxe. However, my WLR pictured are even smaller than the one not pictured. She is a very chunky bird

Back
Top Bottom