Are red combs always a laying sign

I think it takes atleast 26 hours for an egg to be produced. So if you compare the times, you should be able to figure out if it is possible that it was the same bird.
I've heard 25, but also have had some pullets make more than one egg a say the first few days. I originally just wanted to know which in particular was laying in my group

I've heard 25, but also have had some pullets make more than one egg a say the first few days. I originally just wanted to know which in particular was laying in my group
Pictures might help. :)
Or, if you have a lot of time on your hands, you could run outside whenever you hear the egg song. 😂
Have any of them been crouching?

Last edited:
Pictures might help. :)
Or, if you have a lot of time on your hands, you could run outside whenever you hear the egg song. 😂
Have any of them been crouching?
They don't crouch or do the egg sing, but my gals never crouch, so I never believed it was accurate. I can try to get picture tomorrow. They don't like people in their stall

I'm thinking it's not from the same girl since I've heard that these ones only lay once or twice a week

Whoever said that counted the eggs per year and divided by 52 weeks in a year. So it's 52 - 104 eggs per year.

That's like if a bluebird lays 6 eggs in a year, so someone says "an egg every two months." Not really, if she lays them all in one week in the spring!

Cornish bantams lay eggs in clumps. An egg almost every day for a while, then at some point probably go broody (no eggs laid.) After they finish raising chicks (or you break their broodiness), they start laying again for a while. They may also completely quit laying for the winter.

The biological reason is that they want to assemble a clutch of eggs and then hatch them.
Laying one egg each week is not a useful strategy for that.

Whoever said that counted the eggs per year and divided by 52 weeks in a year. So it's 52 - 104 eggs per year.

That's like if a bluebird lays 6 eggs in a year, so someone says "an egg every two months." Not really, if she lays them all in one week in the spring!

Cornish bantams lay eggs in clumps. An egg almost every day for a while, then at some point probably go broody (no eggs laid.) After they finish raising chicks (or you break their broodiness), they start laying again for a while. They may also completely quit laying for the winter.

The biological reason is that they want to assemble a clutch of eggs and then hatch them.
Laying one egg each week is not a useful strategy for that.
I've never heard of them going broody. They're meat birds, so it MAKES sense they don't lay as much since that wasnt ehat was a priority

I've never heard of them going broody. They're meat birds, so it MAKES sense they don't lay as much since that wasnt ehat was a priority

I got my first cornish bantam egg!

Cornish bantams are not really meat birds. They are novelties and show birds and pets, that happen to have a fair bit of meat on them. Yes, the focus on a meaty shape meant there was less focus on egg production. But it also means that no-one focused on breeding out broodiness.

Ideal Poultry sells Cornish Bantams (various colors) and says they go broody. Of four pullets bought by myself & friends in the past few years, at least three went broody. The one I kept for myself went broody at least three times during her first summer.

[Edit to add: and Ideal Poultry also says they're meat birds, when they call most other bantams "ornamental." So they are just as much "meat" as they are "broody." Oops.]

But I already expected broodiness because of the one I had about 20 years before that--the second broody hen I ever had as a child.

Where did you get your Cornish Bantams? They're really fun little birds!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom