Are some breeds more "outgoing" then others?

nakstk

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Kalama, Washington
We have 5 SS pullets they are almost a year old. We wanted to add some color to our eggs so we got three more chicks in May. What we thought were 3 Wellies ended up being 2 Wellies and 1 EE. I have noticed once they were feathered and outside that the EE like to explore much more then the Wellies. She flies up on their little coop and tries to catch flies and bugs. The Wellies just watch her and eat their chick feed. Any one else finding how different breed act differently?

Yep, I have seen that with my birds. I have several breeds, and in general, mine seem to act like this:

EE - flighty, skittish
Welsummer - curious, explorative
BO - friendly, calm
Delaware - bold, friendly
GLW - explorative, somewhat skittish
Blue/Black Wyandotte - calm, friendly
Icelandic - energetic, curious

Sometimes it's in the breed, but sometimes I think it can depend on the individual, too.

I have buff orpingtons, australorps and delwares. The buffs and delawares are out going and very friendly. They follow me around and are very curious. The australorps on the other hand, seem a little shy and not as cuddly as the others. Breeds do play a big part in it but I do agree, depends on the individuals as well.

EE: Smart, personable and love attention, though they are the definite *alpha* two in my flock
Cuckoo Marans: Very sweet, with me and with other birds.
Blue Andalusian: A bit more flighty than the Marans but still willing to let me pet them, and they do not cause issues with other birds
Silkies: More standoffish than many people say they are. BUT they will cuddle and talk if I pick them up.
RIR: Nosy, talkative busybody
Modern Game Bantams: OMG I cannot praise these tiny birds enough! SOOOO sweet, so friendly, curious and adorable
Polish: I have two which are friendly and curious and one which is a hyper, skittish freak.

Back
Top Bottom