are Sussex good

Mine was a good layer but she was very domineering, to the point of bullying a flighty/low rank hen rather badly. My gal never went broody but I only had her for a year and she was a hatchery bird so...

The Sussex is a wonderful breed, coming in several varieties. Their laying tendencies and/or broody tendencies is very strongly dependent upon which strain you get. Where you source your Sussex is very important if these are important traits that you desire. I'd recommend you be sure of the source and get recommendations and reliable reviews in advance.

The Sussex is a wonderful breed, coming in several varieties. Their laying tendencies and/or broody tendencies is very strongly dependent upon which strain you get. Where you source your Sussex is very important if these are important traits that you desire. I'd recommend you be sure of the source and get recommendations and reliable reviews in advance.
Exactly, as is true of so many breeds, characteristics vary from source to source. Get to know your breeder when buying birds.

My Speckled Sussex is one of the friendliest hens in my flock. She is not aggressive towards the other hens, when given the chance to free range she will, and she will be one of the first ones to escape from the run.

While foraging, she is not afraid to be by herself.

I have an enclosed run for my chickens. They take their dust baths right next to the boards of the run, which creates a hole from time to time. My sussex will be one of the first ones to squeeze through that hole to free range.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom