Are the chances as slim as I think?

Andi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
West Central Minnesota
So I had this wonderful idea that I'd let me girls hatch out some hatching eggs I bought. The idea was that that was my best option seeing I don't have an incubator and I don't have the space to keep a separate area for transitioning the chicks in with the girls.

One of my girls spends more time on the eggs then the others, so I was thinking she would go broody easier. I've never allowed the eggs to pile up, so I figured that's why she hadn't gone full blown broody. It looks like I figured wrong.

I asked others in my area when their girls tended to go broody and they said the end of May. That worked out good with someone I arranged to get eggs from. Well, someone in line to get eggs before me backed out, so mine got moved forward.

In anticipation I started allowing eggs to pile up in the nest box. The girl that I figured would be doing the work would go in on the eggs, do a little rearranging, snuggle in and only stay for about 10 minutes and leave.

The eggs arrived on Saturday and I've kept them in a cool location and I've been changing the angle of the container (lined with shavings from the hen house) several times each day (pointed end of the egg down).

Well, now I'm getting worried so I'm altering my plan. Last night I put the eggs in my fishroom (for humidity) and put a heat lamp on them. I have a thermometer in with them and adjusted the height of the lamp so the thermometer is reading right around 100°. I'm also going to continue with the changing of the angles. My hopes are that when the eggs start making noises that I'll be able to slip them into a box at night and put that one girl on them and the peeping noises will kick in some mothering instinct.

What do you think? Am I nuts?

Quote:
A little bit, yes.
wink.png
lol.png

I think you might want to run to the nearest TSC and buy yourself an incubator.

I'm tempted to buy an incubator, but that doesn't solve the issue of space I have available after they are ready to go outside. The way my run is built I can't partition it to keep the chicks safe from the girls. At least not that I can think of. I sure would hate to have them kill them.

Aren't incubators really expensive?

I suppose I should clarify. I have enough space for 8 adult chickens. I currently have 4. My intent is to keep 2 chicks. The layout of the run is the difficult part.

Still Air LG at TSC was like $40 something with tax. Not that expensive compared to others. However, thats without the automatic turner. If you don't buy that you have to turn the eggs by hand. I think its something like 3 times a day. (my fiance does it, thats "his projects"). You can buy the turner, but it also is like $40-$50.

One problem at a time. Right now you need to build/buy an incubator so the eggs can hatch. If that all goes well then we can help you brainstorm run ideas. If you get really lucky one of your girls will go broody and you can either stick the eggs under her and let her finish up or put the chicks under her late one night. If not I'm sure we can figure something out, pictures of the run/coop would help. Off to work now, good luck!

I know my idea was a long shot, but I'd appreciate it if someone could explain why it wouldn't work so I can understand.

I thought the 2 main components were heat and humidity, well, and turning. With 17 aquariums its pretty humid, even with an exhaust running 24/7. The air temp is around 80º in there and with the red heat lamp I thought it would have that covered.

I'm just concerned that I'm hearing it won't work just because its not traditionally how its done instead of there being some concrete reasons that will not allow for it to work. So, please help me understand.

In the mean time I'm going to look into incubators to see if I can afford one right now.

you can keep 2 chicks in "just about" anything til they are old enough to go in with older girls. I agree, one issue at a time , get an incubator if you cant afford one maybe someone close buy can let you borrow one? Or hatch for you? not sure but I am sure you won't be hatching anything the natural way.

I thike the heat lamp will work. People have been incubating eggs a heck of a lot longer than 'bators have been around. Go for it and good luck!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom