Are the judges going to laugh at me? Australorp PICS

Quote:
LOL, Matt (a good friend of mine) and his dad have some excellent Australorps. If you continue to breed to the Standard you should do very well with them.

Good luck!

Quote:
Hey you, would you ask your wife if she wants the Blue hen too?
smile.png

And bring crates for the birds please, as I did not enter them. See you Sat!

Quote:
I'll be cooping in Sat. morning, be sure to say hello. Hope it's not raining! I look pretty much like my profile pic, and drive a big red dually.

How many other BYC peeps will be at the Bluegrass show?

He looks more along the line of production quality rather than exhibition quality, but I'm not an Australorp person. Well, I do have a production pair but that's a different world from exhibition birds.

(Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread!)...

Jerry/Turbo, are you going to have any Magpie calls available soon? And I'm needing a really good grey drake, I want to upgrade.
smile.png

Last edited:
I personally would not keep him for breeding. His tail looks as though it's held at a completely wrong angle making him look more production than exhibition. But, if you're happy with him and enjoy him, then keep him for the joy he gives.

As for your friend...I'd look elsewhere for future birds.

I say take him to the show and enjoy yourself and have fun. Learn from the experience, and talk to other Australorp breeders/owners. Get their opinions about your bird, tell them you really want to hear what they think so you can learn more. When people know you are interested and eager to learn, they'll usually bend over backwards to help. Be prepared for good and bad, and try to be objective when looking at your bird.

When they give out ribbons, go see the ones that do good and talk to people about the good points of the birds that place, find out what to look for from people who consistantly do well.

Who knows though, it's so hard to tell from pictures that your boy may do better than you think. I don't know enough about Australorps to say one way or another, and while I've never showed any kind of chicken, I have shown lots of other critters and can honestly say that on any given day, things can go either way.

Did you see that part about enjoying yourself and having fun?!?!
wink.png

Thanks to everyone for the great input. I really don't care whether I win or not but I'm still nervous....why is that?? I did't know about the Standard Australorp at all but thanks to BYC I am learning. I tried to look up the standard on the internet but all I found was the standard for Australia. Is it the same in USA?

Anywhoooo to answer Pathfinders, I know of 3 other BYC members who will be there.....but there may be more that I don't know are on BYC.

Back
Top Bottom