Are there any actual scientific studies on Apple Cider Vinegar?

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I have been searching through the archives and have noticed that quite a few people recommend putting ACV in their chickens water.
Although there is no doubt in my mind that changing the PH of the water will reduce algae build up some of the other claims are more....dubious.
I do not wish to start a debate about whether or not ACV works or does not. There are hundreds of articles on the web and even on this site with anecdotal evidence that it has benefits. However, try as I might, I have been unable to find any scientific studies that back this up.
Literally the only reputable site I could find that discussed ACV was this:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar
and that was just for humans.
My gut says that this many people probably aren't wrong but being a man of science whenever I see words like "miracle cure" or "wonder product" pop up as often as I do when researching ACV a big red flag goes up in my brain. And even though I respect everyone here and have learned so much from the forum I just don't trust anecdotal evidence when the data size is only a couple dozen birds or less.

Does anyone know of a study or some place I can see cold, hard numbers?

Last edited:
I think mother earth news did a study a bit back, but it'd 2AM and I cant remember where off hand, long and short was that it helps to retarf algae/bacteria growth while not harming the hens. (many people safe cleaners are not hen-safe). So less of a cure, and more of a Cleaner to prevent toxin exposure.

Sorry for spelling im typwing off laptop light.

Only by the people who bottle and sell it!! GO figure, no, seriously, there is a book on Amazon about a study done many many years ago - let me find it

Not what you may be looking for, but a study none the less

why would a major organization do a study to see if a home made remedy works? If they did the study, why would they release it?

this country is all about making money.

Now that I am 35, I tend to listen better when the old timers speak. They all claim it helps the hens.The amish in my area use it, so if it helps with algae growth, good enough for me.
Also all the stuff I have read about feeding wild birds suggest you should clean bird baths with it to control algae and not harm the birds. So in short it does work, why not?

Of course. It's easily made with some Braggs for a starter and frozen (not bottled) apple juice. Everyone is afraid of saying it really is effective and no money for "actual scientific studies" has been allocated because the major company that sells it probably doesn't have the money for all that. But the appendix of that book on Amazon that you can read by clicking on it is impressive.

Quote:
Before calcium supplements, some women would make herbal vinegar with ACV and lambs quarters. The vinegar would dissolve out the calcium and they would drink a tablespoon or so a day for "Health" soooo maybe the ACV makes the calcium in the hen's diet more available for use in their systems. Just a thought.

Quote:
I would think that with all the benefits ACS is proported to have some big company would be interested in making money selling it as a miracle. With all these wonderful benefits there is a lot of money to be made from those who do not have a ready supply of cider, vinegar barrels or root cellers to produce it with. Think of all the city people.

You are right it is all about making money. Sooner or later the market eliminates the hoaxes. That is why, after a 10,000 year history, ACV is best used as a simple, tasty food ingredient. Or household cleaner but not a cureall sold by a profit minded company that may have to answer claims in court.

OP - give up your quest for such information on this site. There is no interest in such science here.

Chocobo, as a man of science, you may have come to the same conclusion that I have: even if there are "scientific" studies, the scientists often do not use the correct amounts, skew the possible results in favor of their hypothesis, test the wrong population, or, in worst case scenarios, throw out the results that don't agree with their hypothesis. Human bias and the influence of $$$ creeps in at any opportunity. How many times have "scientists" switched their advise on the healthy aspects of coffee, butter, vitamin C, red wine, etc.? The best advise is to try it and draw your own conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom