Are there any indicators that 1st laying is going to begin?

happymom99

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2011
California
Hello. We got our first chickens last week and their ages vary from 13-17 weeks old. They are:
17 weeks - Black Austrolorp
15 weeks - Blue Andalusian
Welsummer
Silver Laced Wyandotte
13 weeks - Gold Laced Cochin
Salmon Faverolle
Easter Egger

Is there anything they start doing or looking like or sounding like that is an indicator that they are going to start laying? I am wondering if the Austrolorp is maybe going to start laying soon.

Thank you!
smile.png

Excitedly,
CJ

If you reach down to pet them and they squat then they are about to lay. My hen did that and in about 1week later she laid her first egg.
smile.png

Quote:
If only they'd let me pet them. I just got them on Monday and they come from a farm with a lot of chickens and I think they interacted more with other chickens than with people. They seem to be getting more comfortable with us though so maybe they will be "pettable" soon.
smile.png
We're bribing them with treats.

Quote:
That is a good sign. Another one is red in their combs & wattles. Hearing the egg song will be a welcome noise!
smile.png
Sounds like you'll be getting some eggs soon!

Her comb and her wattles are bright red! So exciting.
smile.png

Yep, sounds like its about time for some eggs.

You won't believe how crazy excited you will be when you get that first one. Your family and friends will think you are insane when you text them and update your facebook page about your first egg.

Congrats. Getting your first egg is almost as cool as having your first child. And every egg after that is like a Christmas present. Your non-chicken friends will get tired of hearing about it but I think all of us here will be as happy as you will be every time. Don't forget to thank your girls and don't feel too bad when you make your first "pocket omelet"

Back
Top Bottom