Are there any indicators that 1st laying is going to begin?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happymom99, Jun 4, 2011.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Hello. We got our first chickens last week and their ages vary from 13-17 weeks old. They are:
    17 weeks - Black Austrolorp
    15 weeks - Blue Andalusian
    Welsummer
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    13 weeks - Gold Laced Cochin
    Salmon Faverolle
    Easter Egger

Is there anything they start doing or looking like or sounding like that is an indicator that they are going to start laying? I am wondering if the Austrolorp is maybe going to start laying soon.

Thank you! [​IMG]

Excitedly,
    CJ

2. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    If you reach down to pet them and they squat then they are about to lay. My hen did that and in about 1week later she laid her first egg.[​IMG]

3. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:If only they'd let me pet them. I just got them on Monday and they come from a farm with a lot of chickens and I think they interacted more with other chickens than with people. They seem to be getting more comfortable with us though so maybe they will be "pettable" soon. [​IMG] We're bribing them with treats.

4. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Like I said, I can't pet mine but this morning the Austrolorp squatted when I walked into the run. [​IMG]

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Quote:That is a good sign. Another one is red in their combs & wattles. Hearing the egg song will be a welcome noise! [​IMG] Sounds like you'll be getting some eggs soon!

6. happymom99

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    Quote:That is a good sign. Another one is red in their combs & wattles. Hearing the egg song will be a welcome noise! [​IMG] Sounds like you'll be getting some eggs soon!

Her comb and her wattles are bright red! So exciting. [​IMG]

7. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    Yep, sounds like its about time for some eggs.

You won't believe how crazy excited you will be when you get that first one. Your family and friends will think you are insane when you text them and update your facebook page about your first egg.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My hens all had very red combs and they were squatting a lot. Sounds like yours is getting ready! Congrats!

9. akcharlie1960

akcharlie1960 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Congrats. Getting your first egg is almost as cool as having your first child. And every egg after that is like a Christmas present. Your non-chicken friends will get tired of hearing about it but I think all of us here will be as happy as you will be every time. Don't forget to thank your girls and don't feel too bad when you make your first "pocket omelet"

10. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Yeah, from what I've read one of the best signs that eggs are a comin' is their comb and wattles go bright red.

My girls are six weeks old and I can't wait

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by