Are there particular places where ducks like to be petted?

Snipes

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
I am finding they might like the areas around their mouth and the "v" at the top of their bill, as long as you very gently pet them or scratch them. I can't tell for sure though. When they are sleepy they don't seem to mind and even start to fall asleep when I do it. One of them is also super aggressive and bites me a lot so I am trying to pet him in these areas and he seems to like it-though he still tries to bite when I pull my hand away.
In my overall experience, my ducks don't seem to like being petted, and at most they tolerate it as harmless or just kind of annoying, so I want to find something that really actually make them feel good. They are drakes, btw, no ducks
sad.png

This is an interesting tidbit - though I just have "girls," so it won't help much, I'll offer that of the nine ducks, four seem to be okay with pets. One in particular flirts with me, so I lightly scratch her back or pet her shoulders. She also seems to like light scratches on top of her head. Not so much anywhere on her neck.

Sometimes when I'm seated near them, she will come over and rest her head on my knee.

None of them bite.

Under the lower mandible is where one of my ducks especially likes a rub. He will close his eyes and stand there letting us touch him there for as long as we can stand. Stevie- Ray my blind duck is ultra affectionate and just loves to be petted anywhere. She is such a sweetie and adores all the attention she can get.

my muscovy like to have their necks scratched under the feathers. Actually, if you watch them with each other, they're pretty affectionate and will nibble each other on the neck and between the wings. I usually just copy that behavior (not by nibbling, but by scratching
lol.png
). My big drake likes to have his chest petted and will let me pat him anywhere just like a dog... it's gotta be on his terms tho
roll.png

Last edited:
Mine like around their bill to. In all the spots you mentioned. They also like right one their back in between the wings. But the favorite i have found so far is under the wings. Right where the shoulder is under the wing and all underneath. I have a couple that are very trusting and let me do this and they will sit there for hours untill i stop. Almost like a trance.

I'm still trying to get mine used to me and the last time I put the to bed, I held them each for a while and petted them and that's when I noticed that Prissy liked to have her neck rubbed. When I stopped, she was moving her head everywhere trying to get me to do it again LoL

Quackers will stand still for me to rub her belly without having to catch her. Husband can pet her back and she'll talk to him about it, but she won't let me do that. She will climb in my lap though!

The other ducks... they still hate me. I snatched up a drake after being real good about not catching them for 2 months... got tired of waiting. He was best behaved when I pet the back of his neck, under his wing, and along his back. It was funny, when I caught the one drake, the rest of the group came close talking and talking about it. They had a hole discussion about it when I set him back down.

Back
Top Bottom