Are these all ISA browns?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I really can’t tell about the pea combs but definitely no blue/black/slate legs. I did a lot of research before getting started but I still don’t understand how to identify some of the features at all. The “is this a hen or too” posts are completely baffling to me because I can’t tell AT ALL
So for the combs, you have to get really close (with your reading or magnifying glass maybe even) and if you see little tiny spikes in a row, that is a “straight comb.” If you see little bumps like peas (or sometimes looks more like wrinkles/ridges when babies), that is a pea comb. If it is wider and flatter, more just a little wedge-shaped bald spot, that is likely a future rose comb.

Never had a baby chick with a walnut comb, so not sure how that one looks.
CC6A8AE7-170E-43E3-8D6D-2FD83EAAB205.jpeg

Not the very best photo, but the gray chick has a pea comb and the yellow has a straight comb - it is almost entirely buried in the floof at this age though. But you can barely see the row of little spikes in that crease on her forehead. I can see if I can get a better photo later, or feel free to post ones of your chicks.

They were about 5-6 days old here I think.

Update in case anyone ever finds this thread when searching. I held out hope that some may be SGE but all 10 hens lay brown eggs and appear to be ISA browns.

Last edited:
Update in case anyone ever finds this thread when searching. I held out hope that some may be SGE but all 10 hens lay brown eggs and appear to be ISA browns.
Sorry you didn't get the colored eggers you planned. But it's pretty hard to argue with one large to extra large dark brown egg per day. You can always sell them as POL pullets to make space for colored eggers, people will probably pay great prices first thing this coming spring. Thanks for the update, I was hoping for you.

Sorry you didn't get the colored eggers you planned. But it's pretty hard to argue with one large to extra large dark brown egg per day. You can always sell them as POL pullets to make space for colored eggers, people will probably pay great prices first thing this coming spring. Thanks for the update, I was hoping for you.
Aww thank you. I ended up giving four of the ISAs my mom to start her own flock. I ordered four started pullets - a spitzhauben for white eggs and for looks, an Araucana for blue eggs, and a welsummer and Wyandotte because they are cute. Guess which two of the “pullets” ended up being roos? The spitz and auracana 🤦‍♀️. I had to give the boys away because I can’t have roosters here. So my egg basket is a rainbow of browns lol. But I just ordered a Cream Legbar, Olive Egger, Easter Egger, and Buff Orpington (the buff was a surprise hatchery choice but I’m excited). Here are my new and hopefully last babies for a long time (and hopefully all girls this time)

Attachments

• IMG_8552.jpeg
    IMG_8552.jpeg
    493.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8558.jpeg
    IMG_8558.jpeg
    760.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8554.jpeg
    IMG_8554.jpeg
    771.3 KB · Views: 6
Aww thank you. I ended up giving four of the ISAs my mom to start her own flock. I ordered four started pullets - a spitzhauben for white eggs and for looks, an Araucana for blue eggs, and a welsummer and Wyandotte because they are cute. Guess which two of the “pullets” ended up being roos? The spitz and auracana 🤦‍♀️. I had to give the boys away because I can’t have roosters here. So my egg basket is a rainbow of browns lol. But I just ordered a Cream Legbar, Olive Egger, Easter Egger, and Buff Orpington (the buff was a surprise hatchery choice but I’m excited). Here are my new and hopefully last babies for a long time (and hopefully all girls this time)
All looking like pullets to me. Cute!!!

Back
Top Bottom