Are these Ameracauna chicks?

lilfarm77

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 16, 2013
NH
Got these 3 chicks today, said they were Ameracaunas, hoping they really are!! And that they are hens lol
What do you guys think?? Thanks!!!

[/IMG]

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Sorry but those chicks are not Ameraucanas, whoever told you that flat out lied. They look like Production Reds,who are wonderful layers, I think that you should enjoy them despite the fact that they aren't Ameraucanas.
smile.png
Also in most places (like feedstores) the "Ameraucanas" that they sell to you will be Easter Egger (which is basically an Ameraucana mix), so unless you get them from a reputable breeder, they usually will be Easter Eggers.

Last edited:
Nope, those chicks are not Ameraucanas, or even Easter Eggers. They look like production Reds, or hatchery-quality Rhode Island Reds. Despite the fact that they aren't Ameraucanas, they should still be good brown egg layers for you.

I almost thought they weren't , but the kids loved them, even though my son really wanted a blue egg layer. Oh well

I'm not so sure those birds are going to be laying any eggs. I'm seeing a lot of comb from at least one of them, and some thick legs. Do you know how old they are? I'm thinking at least one rooster, maybe more.

If you're looking for a specific breed and aren't sure, feel free to post pics here before you buy the bird(s). Chickens are so popular there are lots of unscrupulous folks selling wrong breeds and/or genders out there.

I see one definite roo. The one in the second picture looks like a pullet and the third one I can't tell.

x2

You might consider taking them back to the store and looking for someone else to help you as the person who sold you these as Ameraucanas was sadly mis-informed. (A lot of feed store help are minimum wage workers who simply ring up the cash register with little livestock knowledge).

You won't find Ameraucanas at the feed store (or rather highly, highly unlikely). What you find there is Easter Eggers (mixes with Ameraucana or Araucana in them).

Here's a good article for the distinction:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Feed store Easter Eggers will have green legs and should have chubby little cheeks like a chipmunk (which will grow into beard and muff). Look for chicks that have the smallest yellowest combs...and combs that look smooth bumped not pointy bumped. (Pea combs in Easter Eggers mean you have a much higher likelihood of getting the blue/green eggs.)

EDITED TO ADD: You can see photos of my feed store EE's in the photos in my signature line under Fostering EE's September 2013...EE chicks often come as chipmunk colored and look like little chipmunks with stuffed cheeks.

If roosters are a problem, and all you want is sweet birds that lay nice eggs, look at getting a Red Sex Link/Gold Sex Link/Red Star. They are hybrids that come color coded...the girls are gold/red while the boys are white/yellow as chicks...but that only works for the 1st generation (Dad is a red based purebred roo and mom is a white based purebred hen...producing color coded chicks the 1st generation).

Good luck with your new flock.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
I'm not so sure those birds are going to be laying any eggs. I'm seeing a lot of comb from at least one of them, and some thick legs. Do you know how old they are? I'm thinking at least one rooster, maybe more.

If you're looking for a specific breed and aren't sure, feel free to post pics here before you buy the bird(s). Chickens are so popular there are lots of unscrupulous folks selling wrong breeds and/or genders out there.
x2 I'm seeing at least 1 pullet for now and a rooster, they rest I can't tell from the picture.

Back
Top Bottom