Are these chickens pet, breeding, or show quality?

Vnctan

Songster
9 Years
Apr 4, 2010
Bangor,CA 95914
I am a beginner and I have a black Silkie rooster and a black Sumatra hen and I'd like to know how good the quality is on them. Are they pet quality, breeding quality, or show quality? If you could tell me and explain your decision that would be great. Thanks

SANY1165.jpg

SANY1170.jpg

SANY1166.jpg

SANY1167.jpg

They're both pet quality, I think. Silkies shouldn't have single combs, and Sumatras aren't supposed to have crests.
smile.png

sorry there simply pet quality...your hen's not a sumatra though..shes a silkie cross

They are both Silkie crosses. If you just want pets to learn about keeping chickens then they are OK.

I can understand them being pet quality but I don't see how they are mixed. My rooster looks just like this pic I found on Feathersite.

BkSilkCUK.jpg

And my hen looks a lot more like this first pic than the second pic.

blksumatrahen.jpg

BkSilkHsUK.jpg

It would help if you could get a front shot of the rooster's comb, from the side it looks like a single comb, rather than a walnut comb. And the hen has a crest on top of her head, which is a silkie characteristic. It is possible for a silkie mix to have smooth feathers, if one of the parents had smooth feathers.

I know nothing about Silkies, but I can tell you that your Sumatra hen does have an odd crest on her head and she has larger wattles than desirable for a Sumatra.
Not a thing in the world wrong with them as pet quality, though.
Believe me, until someone explained what to me, were very subtle differences, I didn't know. PQ and SQ differences can be VERY small or very obvious.

Its how genetics work. When a silkie breeds with a non silkie the offspring are not silkie but have crests, like your hen. Your rooster has a straight comb and it should be a walnut comb.

This is a silkie cross hen. You can see her feathers aren't silkie but she has a crest.
2653374865_ca121f21cc.jpg

And this is what your roosters comb should look like
close_up_of_silkie_roo.jpg

Your hen looks like she has turquoise earlobes but the rooster doesn't. Turquoise earlobes are a silkie trait. Another way to tell is silkies have black skin and 5 toes. If your hen shows any of these traits shes a silkie cross.

Pet quality on both.

The roo's comb is very wrong and can be passed on to the progeny.

Everyone that's already said it is absolutely correct, the female is a Silkie cross. Black skin, five toes, some feathering on the toes, and the soft feathers all point to the Silkie in that bird's genetics.

One last thing, you need to check on your boy's well being or confirm that he was just feeling tired. His eyes in both pics are half closed when they should be round and bright.

Back
Top Bottom