Are these ducklings overheated?

AllyTCat

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
We recently bought two ducklings for the first time, so I’m new to duck keeping.
I’m not sure if it’s just me but these ducklings look overheated. Are they too hot? And if so how can I cool them down? I tried moving the brooder further from the heat lamp, but they’re still acting like this.
Basically, what they do all day is lay around with their wings spread out, sometimes they’ll spread out their legs as well. They don’t pant or anything. Here’s a picture. 2DD450EE-A6FE-4A67-A121-7671DA5A618C.jpeg

It would greatly benefit your ducklings if you gave them some type of a shallow pool in which they can swim and cool off in. Also I agree with cmobley by the space being too small

They probably are too hot. The brooder needs a hot side and a cold side. That way they can move in between the two and regulate their temperature as they see fit. Their brooder needs to be large enough that the heat lamp doesn't heat the entire area.

Yep that's way to small
It would greatly benefit your ducklings if you gave them some type of a shallow pool in which they can swim and cool off in. Also I agree with cmobley by the space being too small

We have them in a different spot, but right now we have to put them in here since it’s being cleaned. It’s much bigger than this

They do have a small pool, it’s about 2 1/2 inches deep, if that’s good

Back
Top Bottom