Are these ducks boys or girls?? Ways to tell??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bossynbella, May 21, 2008.

1. bossynbella

bossynbella Songster

Aug 11, 2007
    Iowa
    These are 4 ducks we got from jkcove They are very friendly and we adore them. Just wondering if they are boys or girls and how we tell? They are all 4 call ducks.

These are about 12weeks old I think. We were thinking both girls. Now I'm not so sure. The one with the greyback hardly makes any noise while the other one quacks really loud when we have food.
    [​IMG]

These two are about 6 weeks old I think. They are still getting there feathers and it may be to early to tell. Just eager to name them. One has a much darker head and lighter bill then the other one. One (Not sure which one) will quack real loud every once in a while. (won't do it when we are looking!
    [​IMG]

2. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Songster

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    WOW those last two are beautiful!!! The only ways I know to tell ducks, are the males will have a curly tail feather, but not sure when they get it, and the hens quack loudly and the drakes have a soft raspy voice. Maybe some one else will know more. Those are some pretty ducks though!!

3. LauraMH

LauraMH In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Ducks Quack, Drakes whisper.

it's a sure way to tell, even both the curled tail feather comes in.

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

The top 2 look like a male and female (male on the left, female on right)..the bottom two I am not sure...but they are all cuties!!!

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

First picture the duck on the right with the blue in the wing looks like a female mallard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: