Are these emu eggs fertile? Hatchalong

Congratulations!! šŸ˜ So would this one be 'het' for albino?
Very good question! I may have to see if @Pyxis knows the answer to that. They arenā€™t technically albino. But it would be interesting to know if the blonde parent could have passed on a blonde/white gene.

New blood is good though! Now to tell the man how this all happened lol

Two things I noticedā€¦

Very white toenails compared to the others and marbling in the back part of its beak.

Going to assume itā€™s just because theyā€™re not from the same parents. So should expect some differences.
7887FA9E-9749-4CBA-9915-FF7BB40C805A.jpeg

38660E72-EF65-4994-99CE-4B0AEAEEC086.jpeg

Very good question! I may have to see if @Pyxis knows the answer to that. They arenā€™t technically albino. But it would be interesting to know if the blonde parent could have passed on a blonde/white gene.

New blood is good though! Now to tell the man how this all happened lol

So, no one in emus keeps track of their blonde and white breedings. It's dumb, but that's the case. I certainly will once mine are breeding age so I can nail it down for sure.

But from what I know, my theory is that it's an incompletely dominant dilution gene, so the genetics work like blue in chickens. So, no copies, regular brown. One copy, blonde. Two copies, white.

So if that's the case, your little one wouldn't carry the genetics for blonde/white, unfortunately.

So, no one in emus keeps track of their blonde and white breedings. It's dumb, but that's the case. I certainly will once mine are breeding age so I can nail it down for sure.

But from what I know, my theory is that it's an incompletely dominant dilution gene, so the genetics work like blue in chickens. So, no copies, regular brown. One copy, blonde. Two copies, white.

So if that's the case, your little one wouldn't carry the genetics for blonde/white, unfortunately.
That makes much more sense to me now. Itā€™ll be good to know! Are you going to be breeding blonde to standard, or blonde to blonde?

Just so happened to find someone with a blonde/white pair that just finished laying here in Washington. Her wait list is larger than the amount of eggs in the incubator : ( asked her to let me know if anyone flakes. Not getting hopes up. $500 for blonde $750 for white. She has a blonde adult female for sale, but not able to spend $2500 right now.

That makes much more sense to me now. Itā€™ll be good to know! Are you going to be breeding blonde to standard, or blonde to blonde?

Just so happened to find someone with a blonde/white pair that just finished laying here in Washington. Her wait list is larger than the amount of eggs in the incubator : ( asked her to let me know if anyone flakes. Not getting hopes up. $500 for blonde $750 for white. She has a blonde adult female for sale, but not able to spend $2500 right now.

I clearly need to get into the emu business. Lol

I clearly need to get into the emu business. Lol
Yeah, blonde/white chicks are the thing nowadays lolā€¦ and sadly fossils donā€™t seem to make the big bucks unless you can find the rainbow petrified wood in Utah šŸ˜

Only found red laced yellow agate (knew you would appreciate)
696A2D06-9882-4BAB-8CC3-742DB7A22E3E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom