Are these girls coop ready?

FiftyCentChick

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
My Black star girls are about 5 ish weeks old and love being in the coop and run during the day(I still carry them in at night). Do you think they are feathered out enough to be out permanently?

Attachments

• 20210418_092731.jpg
    20210418_092731.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210418_092725.jpg
    20210418_092725.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210418_093051.jpg
    20210418_093051.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 16
My Black star girls are about 5 ish weeks old and love being in the coop and run during the day(I still carry them in at night). Do you think they are feathered out enough to be out permanently?
Poulet's are coop ready, unless there are the older more aggressive already there.. Just segregate a bit till the rest get used to the new comers presence.. Just a barrier as a short fence will do the trick. So they can see them.. and check them out. A cardboard box for shelter will work fine as it won't be there long.. These guys look a little young yet.. Give em' two weeks, unless they have no competition. Then I think you'll be fine.. Keep in mind night temperatures.. nothing below freezing for a few weeks.

If these cute little birds are the only occupants and you’re not below freezing at night, I’d move them in but keep your flat panel brooder heater in there so they can warm up under it if they get cold. Mine went in the coop with the heater and he no problems.

Poulet's are coop ready, unless there are the older more aggressive already there.. Just segregate a bit till the rest get used to the new comers presence.. Just a barrier as a short fence will do the trick. So they can see them.. and check them out. A cardboard box for shelter will work fine as it won't be there long.. These guys look a little young yet.. Give em' two weeks, unless they have no competition. Then I think you'll be fine.. Keep in mind night temperatures.. nothing below freezing for a few weeks.
This is my first flock, so there are no older hens, just these girls. The lows are in the 40s for the next few weeks.

I'd say it's just on the limit but should be ok. It depends more on how the chick looks feather and size wise than their true age and yours looks ready to handle 40F. Might be a bit shivery in the mornings but should be fine.

Are they off heat completely in the brooder? If so, they're ready to go out permanently at this point. If not, I'd finish weaning them off heat over the next few days and then move them out.

Back
Top Bottom