Are these ladies actually marans? Or just jersey giants?

Not Marans I'm afraid. No foot feathers as far as I can see.
No copper in their hackels.
Tail feathers too high off the back.
The black hen on the chair is a Marans.View attachment 2902108
Gotcha, I figured. Lol. They look really different from my other 2 marans as well. Oh well! They are beautiful so no harm no foul!

I just acquired these 2 ladies and their boyfriend. The lady I bought them from was a new chicken mom and said they were marans. I just want to confirm. She sent me a pic of the eggs that are laid in her coop. I didn't see any other chickens when I went that would lay the darker eggs. They look alot like my 2 jersey giants but I'm a new chicken mom too🤷‍ Thanks! I'll love them no matter what they are!😊View attachment 2902079View attachment 2902080View attachment 2902081View attachment 2902082View attachment 2902083View attachment 2902084
Just wanted to say I love them! 😍😍

Black Marans tend to have feathered feet
Marans bred to the French Standard do. Those bred to the UK Standard are clean-legged.

These are all clean-legged Marans I had back when I was fifteen or sixteen and both varieties had been imported into the US.
Clean-legged Birchin Marans.jpg
Clean-legged Cuckoo Marans (Fugate Line).jpg
Clean-legged Cuckoo Marans.jpg
Cuckoo Marans Pair (Clean Legged).jpg

I did have bloodlines with feathered legs also. But a lack of foot feathers doesn't mean the bird can't be a Marans. Especially in the US where backyard breeders/ignorance runs rampant and people breed anything to anything to try and sell them. How many Marans hybrids are available from the large hatcheries now? Also, there are Black Marans. Just because they aren't Black Copper Marans doesn't mean they can't be Marans.

Marans bred to the French Standard do. Those bred to the UK Standard are clean-legged.

These are all clean-legged Marans I had back when I was fifteen or sixteen and both varieties had been imported into the US.
View attachment 2902183View attachment 2902184View attachment 2902185View attachment 2902186

I did have bloodlines with feathered legs also. But a lack of foot feathers doesn't mean the bird can't be a Marans. Especially in the US where backyard breeders/ignorance runs rampant and people breed anything to anything to try and sell them. How many Marans hybrids are available from the large hatcheries now? Also, there are Black Marans. Just because they aren't Black Copper Marans doesn't mean they can't be Marans.
That's why I said it may be because of my limited observation skills. I do know that other standards can be clean legged (like some Cuckoo Marans). Most of the Black Marans I see have feathered feet. BAs seem like a more likely possibility for me, especially since the seller sold a JG for a Maran.

Back
Top Bottom