Are these ladies actually marans? Or just jersey giants?

Marans bred to the French Standard do. Those bred to the UK Standard are clean-legged.

These are all clean-legged Marans I had back when I was fifteen or sixteen and both varieties had been imported into the US.
View attachment 2902183View attachment 2902184View attachment 2902185View attachment 2902186

I did have bloodlines with feathered legs also. But a lack of foot feathers doesn't mean the bird can't be a Marans. Especially in the US where backyard breeders/ignorance runs rampant and people breed anything to anything to try and sell them. How many Marans hybrids are available from the large hatcheries now? Also, there are Black Marans. Just because they aren't Black Copper Marans doesn't mean they can't be Marans.
That's a bit like saying whisky brewed in Japan is Scotch.:rolleyes::lol:

These came from Marans in France. Anything else is liable to be a hybirid including the black and white version the British try and pass off as Marans.
Able, Fat Bird, Mora, Where and Rufles.JPG
P1282211.JPG

BAs seem like a more likely possibility for me, especially since the seller sold a JG for a Maran.
I doubt the seller bred the birds. I'm sure she picked them up at a feedstore and is just calling them what she was told they are.
That's a bit like saying whisky brewed in Japan is Scotch.:rolleyes::lol:
Point taken, but the birds were imported from the UK and France. It's not my fault everything Americans touch they mess up. lol

I thought those breed to the American standard also did?
Yes, after crossing both lines of imports together for a decade the US Marans Club decided they wanted feathered legs. So the APA SOP calls for feathered legs. My point is that there are still Marans in the US that are clean-legged because of those initial imports from the UK.

Yes, after crossing both lines of imports together for a decade the US Marans Club decided they wanted feathered legs. So the APA SOP calls for feathered legs. My point is that there are still Marans in the US that are clean-legged because of those initial imports from the UK.
This is why you see people advertising them as French Black Copper Marans. There's no need to say French in front of the breed. Everyone ought to know by now the birds hail from the port town of Marans in France. We don't say Asian Light Brahma. Or American Rhode Island Red. They do that to indicate the bird has feathered legs. This is DUMB because of course, they do because that's how the breeders wrote the SOP for them.

Back
Top Bottom