Are these leg bands any good?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Duck Ladie, Feb 24, 2016.

1. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
  2. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    I'm pretty sure the ones you're linking to are too small for ducks. I ordered some larger ones (12mm) off eBay but won't get them for awhile since they are coming from China. I will let you know what I think when I get them.

Im thinking 12mm will work for me because I have bantam chickens and bantam ducks. I don't know if they make them big enough for standard size ducks though. I've been using these http://www.strombergschickens.com/prod_detail_list/numbered-plastic-bands but my birds get them off sometimes so I thought I would try the click on ones this year. Hopefully they fit and stay on better.

3. The Duck Ladie

Feb 23, 2016
    [​IMG]Thanks!

4. blueducklings

blueducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    Do you have lots of ducks?
    I usually have around a dozen that I band
    My ducklings grow too fast for hard plastic bands
    I use colored duct tape & colored masking tape
    It is easy to snip off
    I also use colored plastic ties for my adults that are fully grown
    I find the zip ties too difficult to cut off for the baby ducks as I usually change the bands weekly
    You can get 500 zip ties for $8 at harbor freight with 2 sizes and about 6 colors That's about 48 combinations More if you add the generic black and white ties [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have used colored velcro wraps when the Runners looked so much alike that no one but I could tell them apart.

Soft side in. They are adjustable.

6. blueducklings

blueducklings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Redmond, WA
    Amiga: I almost got those but could not resist all the cute patterns the masking and duck tape offered [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. The Duck Ladie

Feb 23, 2016
    Thanks so much, everyone![​IMG]

8. macgro7

macgro7 Chillin' With My Peeps

9. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Mine came yesterday. They aren't what I thought, but I think they are going to work well. I thought they clicked together, but what you do is slide them together. You can force them to click, but you will never get them apart that way. Anyhow, sliding is not a problem, I put one on a call duck and it went on easily. I made a video so you can see what I mean.

I ordered the 12mm which is equal to a size 7. They fit my call ducks perfectly and should fit my bantam chickens too. Hopefully they will stay on better than the numbered bandettes I was using.

[VIDEO]

10. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    An @Amiga 's advice I got the velco straps. They have been on over six moths and have been working great! One thing I noticed was that pink and red faded so you cannot tell which was which. I am going to place one on a right leg and the other color on the left leg this weekend, that will solve that issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by