Are these mites or lice?

Pics
How do you use permithrin on chickens? I would think it would hurt them as delicate as birds are. I have some concentrate to spray around the house and kennel. Made some up to treat dogs one year and had a dog lose fur where I put it on her. So leary with chickens.

How do you use permithrin on chickens? I would think it would hurt them as delicate as birds are. I have some concentrate to spray around the house and kennel. Made some up to treat dogs one year and had a dog lose fur where I put it on her. So leary with chickens.
My permethrin concentrate has the mix ratio for poultry included with the bottle. I treated my whole flock for lice a couple years and had no issues with skin sensitivity or anything of that sort. Just dead lice. 👍

I got the permethrin 10 from tractor supply that had the ratio listed on it. It said it was for poultry so my husband held the chickens and I sprayed where I saw mites (mainly on vent area). The skin looked irritated from mites. I would think the permethrin wouldn't irritate them if made for that purpose. But still learning😊

I might suggest that you sign up for a subscription to First Saturday Lime. It’s a product I have been using for probably close to 10 years and there are no bugs on my chickens or in my coop. Every time I clean my coop, I’ll take their a bag and sprinkle it all over the floor and throw a whole bunch in nest boxes. In between cleaning the coop, I’ll throw a couple handfuls of First Saturday Line in the nest boxes. The stuff really works. I might also mention that I have asthma, and First Saturday Lime does not bother my breathing at all.

I might suggest that you sign up for a subscription to First Saturday Lime. It’s a product I have been using for probably close to 10 years and there are no bugs on my chickens or in my coop. Every time I clean my coop, I’ll take their a bag and sprinkle it all over the floor and throw a whole bunch in nest boxes. In between cleaning the coop, I’ll throw a couple handfuls of First Saturday Line in the nest boxes. The stuff really works. I might also mention that I have asthma, and First Saturday Lime does not bother my breathing at all.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will look into that. My run also getting infested.😣

My daughter just called me over to look at our eggs because they are covered in some sort of insects. These are eggs that were collected a few days ago and put into a basket. I didn't notice any bugs in the nesting boxes when I clean them periodically. They are made of wood so hard to clean, but I will disinfect them today. Thanks for any input!View attachment 3427405View attachment 3427406View attachment 3427407
Lice almost 100% sure. Be careful and wash your hands after grabbing those eggs or before you realize it, they will creep up through your body - we had a lice infestation and didn't realize it for a few weeks and always wash our hands immediately after touching chickens/eggs/or anything in the coop but my elderly mom forgets and loves to go get eggs when she stays over (forgets to wash her hands though) and they bit her literally everywhere (her scalp was full of sores and she was itching like crazy)... We took her to the Urgent Care and they gave her some cream and didn't really what it was... days after we took her to the hospital and they gave her some Antihistamines but still didn't know what it was until we realized that it had to be the fact our chickens had lice and she didn't realize they were bitting her everywhere and getting worse. Solution (was a bit long process but it finally worked):

1. We fumigated the entire coop thoroughly
2. Cleaned everything including their nesting boxes
3. Gave a bath to each of our hens

Problem improved but it did not go away so we go away completely so we repeated and were more aggressive at tackling the issue:​

4. Racked all wood chips from the floor of the coop
5. Sprayed floor, nesting boxes and surroundings around the coop
6. Sprinkled "Diatomaceous Earth" powder generously all over nesting boxes and coop's floor
7. Bathe hens again with anti-lice product
Problem was 100% resolved on the second week we tried this and have not had them for almost a year.

Back
Top Bottom