Are these silver-laced and gold-laced wyandottes?

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
I bought a few extra pullet chicks today at TSC. Five buff orpingtons (to go with the others we already have full-grown), five silver-laced wyandottes and five gold-laced wyandottes. Supposedly! You guys probably know all too well how the people at TSC are clueless about the chicks they sell.

Our TSC gets their chicks from Mt. Healthy, so that's a good hatchery, at least.

There were four types in one bin - araucanas, amerucanas, silver-laced wyandottes and barred plymouth rock. The sales guy said the striped ones with yellow bellies were silver-laced wyandottes. So I bought five of those. But I am wondering if they are really what they said they are. Maybe they are arucanas or amerucanas instead. Which already gets confusing since if you look at the Mt. Healthy website, they only show Araucanas, not amerucanas.

So....what kind of chicks are these? Are the lighter striped ones truly silver-laced wyandottes and are the darker ones golden-laced wyandottes? (Ignore the pale yellow ones - those are supposed to be buff orpingtons and look like my own buffs when they were chicks, so I am hoping those are right.)

Thanks in advance!

amisilverlacedwyandottemarch23.jpg

closeupoftwokindsofchicksmarch23.jpg

mixedchicksmarch23.jpg

threechicksmarch23.jpg

tiredchicksmarch23.jpg

Last edited:
The chipmunk-coloured ones are Easter Eggers (wrongly called Ameraucanas/Araucanas by hatcheries). Gold Laced Wyandottes are mostly black with ginger patches, as far as I can remember Silver Laced are mostly black with some white.

huh, okay! so I have no idea what all of mine are, do I?!

Below is a group shot, if that helps. Looks like one of the darkest ones has gold edging her stripes and the other four have silver edges to their stripes. and then one of the yellow ones with stripes has a wider, more brown stripe than the other four yellow ones. does that mean anything?

so are the five lighter yellow ones easter eggers? that's okay, of course, if they are. I actually have five more on order from meyer hatchery for delivery on tuesday next week, so that would just mean I have ten of the same kind once they arrive. I don't mind that at all.

I wonder if I have five easter eggers, one golden-laced wyandotte and four silver-laced wyandottes. What do you guys think?

march23allchicks-1.jpg

and another group shot:

ducklingsandchicksonmarch23.jpg

Last edited:
The darker ones with white lacing looks like the silver-laced wyandottes, the darker ones with black/brown lacing looks like the gold-laced wyandottes. It looked like you have a few in there that resemble my speckled sussex babies. They all seem to have that chipmunk strip down their back.

The second time you posted pictures, first picture looks like it has 3 silver-laced wyandottes at the top of the pic. They're the dark ones with chipmunk stripes. There might be one golden-laced wyandotte in that picture, dark with gold on its head, standing next to the chipmunk-striped babies.

Here's a GLW chick, 2 days old:
P7140039.jpg

And here's an 11-day-old SLW chick:
ameraucana.jpg

See the pattern on these babies' faces? All wyandottes I've seen have that kind of face.

These look like my new babies
smile.png
-- although I won't be much help--trying to figure out what I have too
smile.png
! !--They're adorable
smile.png
-- and they look really healthy
smile.png
! Good luck
smile.png
!!

Back