Are these spurs?

Hens can have a spur....my BO that is 4 yrs old has a long one only on one leg....they can grow them. Still your silkie has to be older than 6 months to have a spur that large.

She is a very pretty girl.

Definitely a hen; partridge males look nothing like that. Can you post a larger photo of the "spur"? To me it looks to have characteristics common to both toes and spurs. For one thing, does it bend like a toe, or is it rigid like a spur?

Not to highjack or get OT, but what is the difference in a partridge male and female? I bought 2 partridge silkies, they look identical except 1 is slightly larger and has a bigger comb. I assumed I got a cockerel and a pullet, not 2 pullets like I should have. But color wise, they look like the OP's silkie.

Thank you all for helping to solve our elderly-spurred-chicken mystery.

To answer everyone's questions:

We only received the 2 new silkies yesterday and one has provided an egg this morning. Could be the chicken in question or her un-spurred companion.

Here's a closer photo of her face to better see wattle and comb.
40653_img_0231.jpg

The 'spur-thingys' do seem to be in between toe and spur. They are equal length on both legs. They have skin-like coloring/patterning. They seem to be rigid and don't bend like a toe. They are flat with a rounded end. Please refer photos below. Definitely spurs?
40653_img_0234.jpg
40653_img_0235.jpg

She seems to have a very distressed temperament too. Flying around sqwarking scaring the other new chicken. We do feel liked we've been duped... when we thought we were getting 6 month olds.

It looks like a boy just going by the huge spurs on it's legs, although I have no experience on the Silkie breed so don't quote me on that! However you do say you have found an egg which means one of the two birds is definately a hen!
big_smile.png
is it possible we can see a pic of this bird so that we can compare? splitting the birds up temporarily will also confirm who the egg layer is.

IMO:

Definitely bumblefoot, possibly hen with spurs (I have a Leghorn hen who gets long spurs), not a young bird at all, that length of spur is at least a year's growth. And I'm not wild about the lack of toe separation on the foot with bumblefoot. The crest is pretty small. These would be pet quality in my book.

In which state did you buy these birds?

I have 2 hens with spurs. One has hard ones like a fingernail. And the other has ones that are more like meaty a appendage, kind of stiff not flexable but still coming from the spur area.

Back
Top Bottom