Are these white leghorns close to laying?

Should I expect eggs from these white leghorns or is it early for that yet ?
They are 3 1/2 to 4 months old I think but not sure

I have some novogens (half Leghorn, half Rhode Island Red) in Ohio, and they just started laying at 4.5-5 months old. One egg each per day. Can't imagine how prolific they will be when it gets warmer!

okay
but how did yours look like when they started laying?
Our girls comb was much bigger and red before laying. We had 2 leghorn females (I say had bc one just got killed this past Monday by a raccoon). They were both the same age, however, only one started to lay early (first) and her comb was much larger and red compared to the other. I believe the first one was about 16-18 weeks when she started and her comb was big. The other one looked more like yours do and didn't started till about 20-22weeks.

20 - 24 weeks in warm weather here, but colder temperatures can take longer and less than 14 hours of light, even longer. Be patient. The taste of new eggs is worth it.
I live in iraq so its not too cold but I'm generaly not very patient haha

Our girls comb was much bigger and red before laying. We had 2 leghorn females (I say had bc one just got killed this past Monday by a raccoon). They were both the same age, however, only one started to lay early (first) and her comb was much larger and red compared to the other. I believe the first one was about 16-18 weeks when she started and her comb was big. The other one looked more like yours do and didn't started till about 20-22weeks.
I guess I have to wait for another if not more

My white leghorn started laying at 18.5 weeks. You'll notice your hens will start doing. a submissive squat when you approach them starting about 4 - 7 days before they start laying. Usually when they do their squat, I rub the top of their back near their vent and they seem to enjoy it then after stopping they ruffle their feathers and carry on..

Back
Top Bottom