Are they any standard sized Silkies in the U.S.?

I'm doing a cross with Ameraucana; the Silkie Xs are definitely bigger than the pure silkies, but I'm not worried about their size till I get the other aspects fixed, such as 5 toes, walnut comb, skin color, blue eggs, silkie feathers. The Silkie Xs lay an egg that is on the border between medium and large, while my pure Silkies lay a small egg. I have a feeling that the blue-egg Silkie X is going to wind up quite a bit bigger than the SoP weight, which is 36 oz (2 lb, 4 oz) for a cock and 32 oz (2 lb) for a hen.

I have a poultry scale on my list of must-haves. I don't think they'd like being put in a sack and hung from a fish scale.
lol.png

ETA: I bought a 2010 SoP earlier this year and it has been invaluable. Expensive, but very worth it!

Last edited:
Quote:
Good job! Wow, they have some nice large ones. I was thinking maybe a LF size of 7-8 pounds for cocks and 6-7 for hens, which is about the size of New Hampshires and Wyandottes. I'd love to have some of their extra roosters!

hi ya! yup i am still working on the LF silkies... the ones i had born earlier this year are getting big. i hatched out well over 100 chicks. in the spring i will be going through and culling a few hens that i think are throwing smooth feathers.

i am finding that 99% of my LF Silkie chicks are 5 toed and walnut combed. really need work on the shank and toe feathering. i am happy to say i have enough hens that the single combed hens will be going away come spring. (or sooner) so that should take care of our single comb ones.

50% of my hens weigh 7-8 lbs with a few as big as 10.

Back
Top Bottom