Are they feathered enough to go out with a heat lamp?

That depends entirely on the degree of feathering and the temperatures.

For me, in my climate and with the breeds I've raised, 6 weeks was the MAXIMUM time before I took them off heat. They've gone into the main coop without heat as early as 3.5 weeks -- because they were well-feathered were sleeping in the far corner of my outdoor brooder away from the heat plate.

The one time I left a little heat on them -- just a 40W bulb -- until 6 weeks was when I had a couple cockerels with the slow feathering genes who were still fairly naked at 4 weeks.
My youngest are naked necks who wouldn't even go close to the heat at 3 weeks old. I'm with you, climate makes a huge difference.

I've had a couple hens brood chicks so I watch what they do and do the same. The first mamma took the chicks out on day 1 after everyone hatched! It was June and warm but she was there to warm when needed. The 2nd mamma, different mamma, took hers out after about 3 days. That was in early April and it was much cooler.

The chicks I hatch without a mamma, I use a heating pad mama. It is very easy to make, you just need to find a large heating pad WITHOUT the 2 hour auto shut off. Mine has a button to switch between settings for always on or an auto shut off.

I'll let my chicks go outside as long as they can get back and forth to the heating pad when needed. Never lost any. They sleep in the coop (sectioned off) with the big girls & boy and snuggle under the heating pad at night or stand on it.

This is MUCH safer than a heat lamp and the kiddos can choose how far in they want to be or not. Since my mamma hens take the chicks out so early, I figure its safe as long as they know how to find the heat. Of course, they are protected from predators and have plenty of food and water and I monitor them during the day.

I've always bought cheap heating pads but we test them thoroughly (on ourselves) before using them for chicks. They need to be stored fairly flat, folding or bending them can damage the wiring inside which could lead to problems.

Back
Top Bottom