Are Winter Eggs Like Refrigerated Eggs?

LJHC

Songster
Aug 29, 2020
South Carolina
My Jumbo Corturnix are each laying an egg per day (thanks to the "add lights "suggestion someone made). Our recent night time temperatures have dropped below 32 degrees F. Should I consider these eggs as having been refrigerated when I collect them in the morning and just put them in the refrigerator? Or is it okay to keep them unwashed on the counter? Thanks! :confused:

Keep them on the counter to eat or to collect to hatch?

Yes, I do. I don't usually refrigerate the eggs. The temperature outdoors is just as cold now as refrigerating them, so I was wondering if once the eggs are that cold, whether I need to keep them in the cold refrigerator for consistency.

So for me personally I usually prefer not to refrigerate my eggs but also don’t like eggs changing temps too much. Once the cold season is upon us, if we collect long after laying and the eggs have sat in the cold for a while, then they go in the refrigerator. If we collect right after being laid (our hatching eggs) they will not go in the refrigerator.

When I collect eggs in the winter, if they are very cold to the touch; they go directly into the refrigerator. If they are cool to the touch but not overly cold, I will put them in a cool room to gradually warm up and then put them on the counter (no refrigeration necessary).

My chickens have been laying pretty consistently between 7- 7:20 am so I've been going out at 7:30 and the eggs are not cool at all, regardless of the temperature outside. So that works best for us. I love seeing the egg skelter on our counter filled with beautiful backyard eggs!

So for me personally I usually prefer not to refrigerate my eggs but also don’t like eggs changing temps too much. Once the cold season is upon us, if we collect long after laying and the eggs have sat in the cold for a while, then they go in the refrigerator. If we collect right after being laid (our hatching eggs) they will not go in the refrigerator.

Thank you!!

When I collect eggs in the winter, if they are very cold to the touch; they go directly into the refrigerator. If they are cool to the touch but not overly cold, I will put them in a cool room to gradually warm up and then put them on the counter (no refrigeration necessary).

My chickens have been laying pretty consistently between 7- 7:20 am so I've been going out at 7:30 and the eggs are not cool at all, regardless of the temperature outside. So that works best for us. I love seeing the egg skelter on our counter filled with beautiful backyard eggs!

I appreciate the information. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom