are you adopted?

I am 1/2 adopted. My birth mother died shortly after I was born, Dad remarried and Mom adopted us (3 girls) when I was about 8, old enough to sign my name in cursive!
big_smile.png

We didn't talk about my birth mother a lot, but any questions were always answered, I eventually got all her biography and some things to remember her by and I had a slew of grandparents! It worked out quite well, but there was never any question who my "real" Mom was.

The hardest part was for my 2 older sisters, they had a much more difficult time of it.

I should clarify the mud a bit- step-Mom and Dad married when I was very little, the formal adoption came years later. I always had great fun teasing Mom and Dad that they didn't let me go to their wedding! My sisters got to go......

Last edited:
My Dad adopted my two older brothers when he married my Mom (then they had my sister and I). My husband and I are going to our first foster/adoption orientation session next week. I hope to foster/adopt in the future.

We adopted Dh's three siblings- they were 12, 14 and 16 and now are 22, 24, and 26. It has been a long 10 years full of ups and downs. Grown kids keep coming home and needing us again but for the most part they are doing well. Family dynamics are tough~ Even tougher when the Mom has had no contact forever and then shows up now and again- and then Dad drops you off on big bro's doorstep. We have dealt with lots of emotions over the years and I am sure many more will pop up as times go on.

It has been very tough being the "outsider" looking in on this group and for obvious reasons needed to make and enforce rules- thus being the bad guy. But I have also been the one they come too when they needed to talk. As far as Dh and I ~ a few years ago the youngest went through a blow up year in which he was I swear trying to self destruct, it almost wrecked our relationship. In the end I believe that it has made us stronger, but it was very difficult.

I feel like I have grown 40 years in the last 10. But I suppose everyone grows a bunch from age 21-31. I pray everyday for my children- the grown ones and the little ones as well as my DH. I pray that we will find it in our hearts to forgive, to come to peace from the things that were done to us (and I include myself in this as I have had to deal with the problems that the parents created), And I pray that the parents figure out how to be good people.

I met my birth parents when i was 21, but due to all the lies my adoptive mother told, i severd ties with my birth parents. 16 years later my youngest son became ill and i needed family history, so one night i bit the bullet and looked for her, it only took a matter of minute to find and have her on the phone. I talk to her and my birth sisters more then i talk to my adopted siblings.
I think people who adopt children out of foster care are the greatest people on earth, it hurts to hear propective adoptive parents say they only want babies.....there are so many increitable kids that need to be adopted!!. I blocked a former friend on facebook due her lac of intelligence on the rules of adopting, she has one child by birth and informed every one on fb that she wanted to adopt her next baby.....(it's not like walking in to a shelter and walking out with a pet as she thought) once she was refussed by the adoption agency she started saying that adoptive babies came from drugged up mothers and we're being given away for that reason!!!! and that she didn't want to adopted a future mask murder from foster care......i saw that and ripped in to her , then blocked her

Quote:
With the issues they have dealt with in their past, those darlings were incredible well behaved, and Robert still asks every day "Where is Kylie?" He fell in love
love.gif

Thanks Debi! Robert is amazing himself, so smart, so cute.

I wonder how many birthmoms don't like to come forward for fear of being judged.

You'd be...amazed...at the judgment of others. The things they'll say, both to you, and behind your back.

hide.gif

Quote:
I wouldn't be amazed at all. I've had people walk up to me in a store and ask if the kids were adopted (it's rather obvious when we're together) and then go on and on about how lucky the kids are to have been adopted and how awful it was that their REAL mothers wouldn't take care of them and they do this IN FRONT OF MY CHILDREN. There's nothing lucky about the situation that allowed my children to be adopted and WE'RE the lucky ones to have found them. I know that since my children were in the foster care system the birth mothers weren't always voluntarily relinquishing their children but I still hope that they've found some peace and I hope that they know how very loved their children are.

Back
Top Bottom