Are you new at Incubating? Read THIS for some special tips! (Short) ❤️🐔

TheChickenHouse1234

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2022
Sooooo... if you are a new to incubating, this might help to learn a little more about how it all works! I'm very new to incubating as well (in fact I am incubating RIGHT NOW), but I think I have learned a few things that others might need to know! If I am wrong about this, the pros can call me out!

Incubating is a lot harder than it looks. When I first started using my incubator, I had a lot that I needed to know. The first step that you need to do before using the incubator, is to test run it! All you need to do is leave the incubator on for 2-3 days. I missed this step, but it is important to do just in case your incubator doesn't work or there are any sorts of problems.
This step isn't really required if you are borrowing an incubator, but you should probably do this if your incubator is new. After the incubator has been running for the max time, this is the time when you pop the eggs in. You want to be extremely careful so the eggs DO NOT break! All you want to do after this is let the eggs sit. If you have an auto turner, then you don't need to turn the eggs (I have an auto turner). If you don't have an auto turner than, make sure to turn your eggs 3 times per day. If you miss turning them, it can effect if they hatch or not. Basically, that means they will all develop wrong or something.
Once the eggs are all set, you can just leave them and wait to turn them next (if you don't have an auto turner). After this, on the second day, eggs will start developing. The farther through the days, the more the chicks will develop. Also, make sure not to forget about lockdown. I'm not on lockdown yet but this is special to remember. Chicks will ALWAYS hatch on day 21.
Lockdown is when you want to stop turning and candling eggs. Don't turn off your incubator, just keep it running and ready for when the eggs will hatch. Just don't let the eggs be turned.
Sooooo... I really hope you guys enjoyed my quick incubating info. I really don't know much but I'm really happy that my great friend also on BYC helped me get through incubating successfully (though the eggs have not hatched yet). Thank you for reading!🐣🐣🐣

If you miss turning them, it can effect if they hatch or not. Basically, that means they will all develop wrong or something
I just wanted to point out this isn't 100% correct.

Yes, yes, you should turn them. Not arguing about that. But not turning does not mean every single chick will have something wrong with it.

I had a batch of shipped quail eggs a few years ago that I didn't realize weren't turned the first 2 weeks because they were too heavy for the turner to do it automatically, so I was just a few random times I would personally make the turner go when I wasn't sure if it was actually working or not. At that point they only had 1 more day of turning before lock down so I didn't bother turning then since I figured the damage had been done. I still wound up with roughly a 33% hatch rate and a great development rate out of the 36 eggs, with only one serious malformation (that resulted in a DIS chick anyways). The chicks that hatched all were as healthy as one can expect a baby the size of a goldfish to be.

Still a great idea to turn, and I probably would have gotten a better hatch rate if I'd noticed the issue sooner, but not turning doesn't guarantee something wrong with all chicks

Back
Top Bottom