Are you Peking kidding me?

I'm not sure how I would get them "to bed." They will not allow anyone within 10 feet of them. If you try to get close, they will head for the pond which is where they stay at night. I have a big utility pole right next to my driveway which shines a lot of light on the pond at night so they can easily see any potential predators. I guess they feel safe in or around the pond at night. My concern is that an owl will get them because they stick out like a sore thumb. Of course, I'm new to ducks so I don't even know if owls are a duck predator or if the ducks are too big for that kind of threat?

As for some kind of winter containment, I figured I could find some way to "lead" them into the chicken yard with treats or something. AT least that is what I HOPE to do....but as I said, they are dumb and don't investigate anything you try to give them. They run from it. When they were still babies, I kept them (and the chicks) in a horse stall. I had a baby pool in there for them to play and swim (not drink, yuck...). If the water was clean, I'd throw them some kale. They seemed to LOVE that.... I've also given them kale out on the pond. But away from the water, they won't eat anything I try to give them.
get mazuri feed! it floats

My ducks are very skittish too. Maybe every time you come around them, bring them a very delicious treat? Even if they run. Fix a large bowl of water & dump a bunch of fruits or veggies In. I call it their “soup”. I cut up cucumbers, zucchini, peas, corn, carrots, lettuce, spinach, strawberries, blueberries, etc. Of course not ALL together, but I do veggie soups & fruit soups & they LOOOVE it. Every morning when they see me carrying their bowl of soup, they come running & quacking loudly & excitedly. Birds need stimulation too, it must get boring doing the same things everyday.

Here's a video I took earlier this summer.

Here's a picture from today.

View attachment 2337710
First yes they are pekins and by tail feathers it looks like 1 drake and 1 duck so imo you should have never separated them from the chickens you should have let them stay in the coop at night and let them out to the pond during the day i have mine all in one coop and let the ducks out if they want during the day there is 8ducks in my main coop 6 of which are rescues and got put right in with my flock or you may want to get your drake a few more ducks the 1 may not be enough for him he may need 4or5 ducks to satisfy his needs oh and build them a floating duck house for at night they are really easy and inexpensive to make so they feel safer at night and have somewhere safe to lay eggs

Attachments

• 20200726_203134.jpg
    20200726_203134.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 15
It looks like you've got a drake feather on one of them. If that's the case, and the other duck is indeed the female you suspected, then you've got a gender ratio problem. You want AT LEAST 4 females per male. If you're really not into the ducks and dont want MORE ducks I think rehoming (or culling, if thats your thing) is your best bet. If you do have a drake he could also become a problem for your chickens - trying to mate them. Both the chickens and your single female duck will wind up hurt, or worse.

Sounds like they're not happy....u have to have WATER WATER WATER for ducks...and they like to root around with their beaks in the dirt so soft dirt is also needed..... Animals acting out are generally unhappy campers for whatever reason...

This doesn't explain why they choose to wreck havoc on the 2 poor chickens that are the target of their vengeance.

They have water - not only do they have a decent sized pond to swim in, their is a small overflow stream coming off the pond where they can root for bugs (which they do), there is also a water bucket that is always full which my chickens use when free ranging, AND the ducks frequently stick their head through the chicken yard fence to drink water from the chickens' pen.

They have food - won't use the feeders I put out or eat anything I try to give them on land.

They have shelter - there is a duck house with straw right next to their pond on the bank where they typically sleep. Won't use it or go inside it.

This doesn't explain why they choose to wreck havoc on the 2 poor chickens that are the target of their vengeance.

They have water - not only do they have a decent sized pond to swim in, their is a small overflow stream coming off the pond where they can root for bugs (which they do), there is also a water bucket that is always full which my chickens use when free ranging, AND the ducks frequently stick their head through the chicken yard fence to drink water from the chickens' pen.

They have food - won't use the feeders I put out or eat anything I try to give them on land.

They have shelter - there is a duck house with straw right next to their pond on the bank where they typically sleep. Won't use it or go inside it.
They may feel there duck house isn't safe to sleep in is there pond big enough to make it a floating house and anchor it in the middle of the pond

First yes they are pekins and by tail feathers it looks like 1 drake and 1 duck so imo you should have never separated them from the chickens you should have let them stay in the coop at night and let them out to the pond during the day i have mine all in one coop and let the ducks out if they want during the day there is 8ducks in my main coop 6 of which are rescues and got put right in with my flock or you may want to get your drake a few more ducks the 1 may not be enough for him he may need 4or5 ducks to satisfy his needs oh and build them a floating duck house for at night they are really easy and inexpensive to make so they feel safer at night and have somewhere safe to lay eggs

How do I tell which one is the drake? When I tried to look up how to sex them, the only info I could find was based upon their quack.

I would love to entice them into the chicken yard and leave them locked up there for a few days, but I'm concerned with the way they try to "attack" their targets (the 2 chickens).

I had no way of knowing that allowing the ducks to spend their time happily down at the pond all day & night was going to cause them to attack the chickens. Considering they were raised together, I'm still stunned by this development. Remember that they do not attack ALL the chickens....just two specific ones. The question now is whether it can be reversed. If it can't, I don't have many options other than to rehome them or make them dinner.

How do I tell which one is the drake? When I tried to look up how to sex them, the only info I could find was based upon their quack.

I would love to entice them into the chicken yard and leave them locked up there for a few days, but I'm concerned with the way they try to "attack" their targets (the 2 chickens).

I had no way of knowing that allowing the ducks to spend their time happily down at the pond all day & night was going to cause them to attack the chickens. Considering they were raised together, I'm still stunned by this development. Remember that they do not attack ALL the chickens....just two specific ones. The question now is whether it can be reversed. If it can't, I don't have many options other than to rehome them or make them dinner.
To feather sex them is easy when you look at them do you see the curled tail feathers on the one but not the other the one with the curled feathers is your drake here is mine
20200717_192928.jpg

See how one has curled tail feathers and the other doesn't
20200710_204336.jpg
no curles ducks

Back
Top Bottom