Are you using Red Lake Earth DE? Questions...

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
Our local feed co-op will be getting this in soon, in a new powdered form, so it will be food grade DE mixed with the calcium bentonite that is standard to the RLE product line (includes Stall Dry and others). The calcium bentonite is what makes up the "clay" part of their brand of DE, and is reputed to "give the birds extra minerals" and what I want to know, is: do you allow the chooks to eat this? Are you mixing into their feed at the suggested rate of 2-4%? (I've heard differing ratios...
hmm.png
)

Or are you keeping it strictly for the coop management, ie dryness, fly reduction, parasite control as well as using it on your birds?

Any advice on this will be *hugely* appreciated!!! We've had a terrible time locating food grade DE here in BC for some strange reason!
barnie.gif
And the cost of shipping it was going to be through the roof, more than a 50 lb bag of the DE, LOL!

Last edited:
I was using DE to preventative worm. But it caused the Chickens to start sneezing. I am supposing it was this because they hadn't done it before. It said 5% on the information that came with me DE. As long as it is food grade. I know lots of people seem to use it for all stuff. Look in Diseases folder.

Sorry I'm no real help for your questions, just also curious about the Red Lake Earth DE brand. My hubby came home with a great big bag for $15, but no where on it does it say food grade...
hu.gif
The bag does have pics of many critters (including chickens) and recommends mixing 2% in feed and/or dusting on the animal. Also, the colour is like sand, not white like I've seen online. I'm thinking it is not as refined....? The feed store were hubby picked it up said it is the only stuff available in Canada.
idunno.gif

I hope someone can shed more light on this for us both!

Ok, now that I've had a coffee and am a little more awake,
ep.gif
lol, I happened upon this old thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10981&p=1

And this from it:

I received this email from RLE this morning. I was trying to find out if it was feed safe for my new chickens. Besides the email they also call me and left a message.

Email:
Rest assured Red Lake Earth is completely safe.
It is OMRI-listed feed grade diatomaceous earth containing 36 trace minerals & a hint of Montmoriillinite which is a known binder of mycotoxins or mold.

FEED: RLE is a natural feed thru fly control for all animals. The diatoms under 500 X magnification look like broken shards of glass. Please keep in mind when a jeweler looks at a diamond he/she is utilizing a mere 10 loop. So these sharp edges are very teeny. The edges knick the fly larvae & their jelly-like eggs they drain & they die.
Mushroom farmers use RLE in their (you know what) growing mix to prevent the larva eating their mushrooms.

Unfortunately, animals receive lower grade goods in their feed & Mother Nature's weather can be a factor in how much mycotoxins are in them.
All corn, silages, hay, straw, beet pulp etc contain some mycotoxins.

Montmorillinite is the leading pharmaceutical ingredient in scour treatments for animals. Montmotillinite is a non-swelling clay. Think Milk of Magnesia, it is clay for flu like symptoms in humans. People, as well as, animals die from the quick loss of electrolytes with the flu or scours.

We were able to save a $10,000 show calf the vet had given up on.... in less than a few hours.

TOPICALLY: Diatomaceous earth naturally controls fleas, flies, ants, earwigs roaches, etc. Chickens love to dust in RLE. Want to see something funny pour out a bag of RLE for an emus. Add RLE to all types of bedding, under dog pillows or straw in stalls & dog houses, bird houses for lice etc.

I eat a teaspoon of Red Lake Earth on yogurt or chunky applesauce. Should the USA ever receive the Asian Flu pandemic they predict, I will be eating much more Red Lake Earth. Red Lake Earth may help someone with food poisoning symptoms.

Please let me know if we maybe of further help to you.

xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
National Sales & Training Director

I am going to give it a try. It is a lot cheaper than perma guard and I can find it locally without paying shipping costs. I will let you know how it works over the next few weeks.

So it's looking good!
yippiechickie.gif

I started this post a while back https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2008460#p2008460 because I too was wondering about Red Lake DE. There is a picture of the bag on the post. The DE is grey in color not white because they add something as a clumping agent. Agway told me it was the right stuff. I have been using it for almost 2 months with good luck. The yellow sticker says granular although it really is powdery.
Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom