are your dogs and chicken friends

That's hilarious cause one of our hens thinks she is a dog!

"Big Momma" is a Cornish Cross left over from last year. I had a really hard time breaking Levi, our red catahoula from killing chickens. Since he was bred to hunt wild hogs it wasn't a huge shock to us but his predator drive needed to be shut down none the less. After he was sufficiently broken I decided to keep a hen around (we didn't have layers at the time) just to keep him in calm around them. It worked like a charm. They take naps together during the day and sleep in the SAME dog house at night. Big Momma has even taking to trying to 'bark' at the cows in the next pasture. I wish I had it on video. It sounds like a really angry cluck accompanied by raised neck feathers and all. When we added four layers to the flock and two roosters Levi didn't bat an eye. All the new hens and the two roos sleep together but Big Momma always goes back to the dog house to sleep next to her buddy.
that's so cool! Big Momma is beautiful and so is Levi, it's great that they're such good friends

Unfortunately not. Our german shepherd pup, who just turned two, killed or badly hurt (to the point of having to put down) all of my girls in the last two months. Our pit bull could care less about them, which is great! We started over with 16 new chicks and four ducks and are in the process of finding a new home for our shepherd. As much as we love her, after the chicken murders, she started going after our cat, so she's got to go.

Last edited:
Not at all compatible. Timmy, the dachshund ripped the skin off the neck of one chicken who got within reach, through the fence mind you. Now we know there needs to be a de-militarized zone between the dog yard and the chicken yard - no shared fence!

We have 2 mutts. One is a border collie and sheltie mix, the other is a chihuahua and boston terrier mix. We have had the chicks for almost 2 weeks now and both dogs just look at the chicks like they are moving chicken nuggets. The border collie mix killed one of quail years ago so I know right now she cannot be trusted. It kinda bums me out because I have to be so cautious with my boys and the chicks. The brooder is in the toy room so they are all in constant contact. I need to figure out a way to get them all to get along.

Not at all compatible. Timmy, the dachshund ripped the skin off the neck of one chicken who got within reach, through the fence mind you. Now we know there needs to be a de-militarized zone between the dog yard and the chicken yard - no shared fence!
That's what happened to us, too. We have our yard divided into 4 sections with a huge space between the chicks and dogs. After 10 months of harmony, one of the chickens flew into the demilitarized zone and tread ed to close to the dog fence. The shep reached through and got her. After that the dog was relentless. She would even go over the fences in the middle of the night and get them. So horrible. After talking to MANY trainers there seems to be no way out of it. Once a killer, always. I don't think your dachsund could clear a fence, but we can't build them high enough at this point.

My pit bulls guard my chicks when o have them out in there lil pen and one of my piys let the chicks ride him lol

My dog would be nice to my chickens but he is soooooo jelous of them! When I'm sitting an watching the chicks he runs up under me an like wines as if he's saying " look I'm still here!" But he knows in his heart that I love him most... But the jelousness is still there ;)

Back
Top Bottom