Arizona Chickens

Quote:
My exhibition line langshan and barred rocks would likely find 12x12x12 too small. My feedstore (hatchery) orpington, barred rocks, rir etc. would be fine. My feed store brahmas would find them too small. Build for the size of your birds. Since you have a few inchs to play with consider making one or two that are larger/smaller than the other.

That's a pretty good idea. I'll divy up the 48" into small, medium & large.
thumbsup.gif

Mama HenYes, I feed Manna Pro, so you (and others) must know where I speak of. I have been going there for 1 1/2 years and it seems to be getting worse. I like the owners and the guy who works there, always very helpful to me. But the conditions are always hit or miss, and for the last several months, MISS! I hate to switch feeds again, but i hate seeing sick birds.

i used to go every 2 weeks to get my feed, sometimes more often, so it's not like i am saying this without cause. i have seen rats inside cages with the hens, my kids have picked up baby chicks off the floor that fell out of the brooder earlier in the day, i have witnessed an owner pulling a pullet out of a cage and saying to it "you look like you don't feel good" and putting it back because it was paid for, etc......

i personally bought 3 three month old pullets there a long time ago and got them home into quarrantine(wow, i had room for that at the time) and then they all started coughing, sneezing, had goop coming from their nostrils, they smelled AWFUL and had lice. they went back to the store right away. they looked ok in the cage, but she shoved them in the box so fast! partly my fault for not checking before leaving the store.

so, anyone know where else to get manna pro in this state? surely this cannot be the only store.

Sonoran Silkies,
if you couldn't get it anymore, what would you buy?

Mikey
i have made comments in there over the last year and a half. and now my kids do it, loudly. they hate going there, they want to look at the chicks but then they see whats around and start whining about the mess and i have heard them say to *** that it needs to be cleaned up, it's dirty in here, mommy let's leave, etc.... absolutely no prompting from me. now i just don't take them anymore. i run in and run out.

Helpful suggestions?

Quote:
That is where I got my 1st 5 girls last year when they were still at the old location. It didn't seem that bad there. I then changed to getting feed at another store closer to me which was a different brand. My Delaware started turning yellow and I decided to go back to the original store and get my Manna Pro. (She is finally back to white again) Must have been something in the different brand. I agree the people there aren't bad but the conditions the poultry live in are terrible. My daughter and I said something and the response was because it has been hot, it was easy to blow the fans on them this way. There were so many crammed into one cage. My daughter wanted to take some home, but we do not have any room for more. I too would like to find somewhere that carries Manna Pro as well. It is almost time to go buy another bag!

Personally, I would not buy my feed there because of biosercurity. I hate buying feed from a store with sick animals because I worry about bringing stuff home. I'd have to bleach my shoes and clothes when I got home from that store. How would you keep from tracking stuff into the barn off the bags/ etc., with conditions that horrible?
Quote:

Last edited:
Pima
thanks for the link and i have been to many stores, but the problem is, a store can be a manna pro dealer and just carry one product like calf manna and not necessarily poultry feed. that is what i have run in to. i personally do not care for nutrena and definately not purina since it does not contain animal product in it.

Mama Hen
if you were using purina, that could be why your dellie turned yellow as it has marigold extract in it.

it just really shouldn't be this big a deal to pick a feed. i mean, they are chickens. but if i am going to pay out the nose, it might as well be a good feed, right?

Tracyi have shoes in my backyard that i only wear in my yard as well as my entire family and i have extras for visitors. i keep a pair in the garage for going to feed stores that stay in the garage and the feed gets dumped immediately into cans on my patio and feed bags tossed right away. clothes are changed as soon as i get home.

I got to meet Mikey D and the control tower yesterday. What nice people! I think that we should all meet at the big poultry show that will be in February in Phoenix. I am just planning early. They will even have table top show for seramas.

Back
Top Bottom