Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

OMG! Banding baseball and softball sized goat jewels! Yeah, I'd say that wouldn't work so well.[​IMG]
    It's all in. The context I guess.[​IMG]

2. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    ok, moral question for everyone:

would you continue to shop at a feed store strictly for feed only but you are rather disgusted by the way the store keeps their birds(find the conditions filthy, birds seem sick and crammed) but you like the feed they carry and cannot find it anywhere else? it's not that i wouldn't drive to another store, i purchase all my other items elsewhere, but cannot get this brand of feed and i happen to like it but not the store. apparently, i am not the only one as i saw something posted somewhere that reminded why i buy in bulk.

no, it's not pratt's. pratt's didn't have huge piles of **** on the ground next to the birds.

i know, the answer seems obvious, but what is a good quality feed that i don't have to truck in?

3. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:Do you feed your girls Manna Pro by chance?

4. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Is it a recent change in quality of care? I'd probably say something to the owner along the lines of,

"I like the feed I get here but I cannot bear the conditions in which the bird are kept and to avoid seeing it I'm going to have to shop elsewhere."

If enough people say the same thing to them, they might get the message. Win-win as you get your feed and the birds get better care.

Then again, I've got a big mouth...[​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:My exhibition line langshan and barred rocks would likely find 12x12x12 too small. My feedstore (hatchery) orpington, barred rocks, rir etc. would be fine. My feed store brahmas would find them too small. Build for the size of your birds. Since you have a few inchs to play with consider making one or two that are larger/smaller than the other.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Realize that piles of crap may mean that they are cleaning out the pens/cages, but are interrupted by attending to customers. Realize that crowding may be due to keeping the birds in shaded or cooled areas. Look at overall and long term conditions, not single occurences. If there is a perpetual concern, speak to the owner.

7. RanchoDelPolloLoco

RanchoDelPolloLoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Quote:A few months back at an (unnamed) feed store I was buying some feed and the chicks there were having to drink from water that looked like black mud, disgusting. I loudly said to my husband that was unacceptable (I have a big mouth [​IMG]) and low and behold, next visit it was much improved. It's a hard call if you shop only for feed and it's convenient.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:A few months back at an (unnamed) feed store I was buying some feed and the chicks there were having to drink from water that looked like black mud, disgusting. I loudly said to my husband that was unacceptable (I have a big mouth [​IMG]) and low and behold, next visit it was much improved. It's a hard call if you shop only for feed and it's convenient.

I have had a vitamin supplement that is added to the drinking water that makes it look like mud. Probably not the case in your circumstances, but sometimes appearances are deceiving. I have a dickens of a time keeping the water clean in some of my pens/cages. On other pens there is no issue, but the potential is the same.

9. RanchoDelPolloLoco

Aug 2, 2011

I have had a vitamin supplement that is added to the drinking water that makes it look like mud. Probably not the case in your circumstances, but sometimes appearances are deceiving. I have a dickens of a time keeping the water clean in some of my pens/cages. On other pens there is no issue, but the potential is the same.

Yeah it was smelly and gross, it's true though, things can be bad one day and great the rest. It has MUCH improved there and now a place I visit all the time. You have to give them a chance! [​IMG] Should see my house some days! [​IMG]

10. RanchoDelPolloLoco

Aug 2, 2011
    So there is a question I have for you Arizonians. I pass a house on Hunt Hwy all the time and they have LOADS of chickens and turkeys, I think even sheep, goats etc. It is located around Hunt Hwy and Hawes Rd in Queen Creek... it's a long shot I know, but wondered if it was a BYC member or a place others have seen. I always want to stop and look but that would be super weird of me [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by