Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Thanks Mahonri! So do you think 4 in line instead of three? I've got 48". Would it be a waste? Most people here have said there is a corner or top favorite they all pile into.

Would a 15" wide box be too big and not give them that claustrophobic "boxed in" feeling?

so many questions...

I think Gallo's circle entrances look cool too. I was also thinking of making the bottom of the nesting boxes hinge downwards as well as the tops lifting up. Might make it easier to clean them out if I could just drop the front edge of the bottom into a container and spray it off as it was hanging there.

2. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Meg - how goes the Intelligent chicken owner vs brainless HOA battle going?

Oh and your inbox is full! [​IMG]

3. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] what kind of chickens are they? Are they hens? I used to have a female Labrador named Radar and my first horse as a 6 year old kid was named Pete![​IMG]
    Becky, just sent you a PM about the teeter.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  4. Tracydr

Quote:One still has a bit of green.
    Mikey, that's very strange that the suspected broiler is smaller than the production red " Pullets". You would think layer Pullets would be the smallest in the group. Now I'm very confused. I have a bunch of lighter colored, big red ones with large feet, I think are obviously broilers. Than, some smaller ones, smaller bones, darker red ones that I would suspect are layers.
    What a mess!
    To make it even more confusing, Ideal sent me my replacement Cornish and silky ( actually, I added a couple silky for extra insurance, since it's for the granddaughter) and a bunch of red packing peanuts. I think there is even a bantam sized red packing peanut! The only red bantam possibilities I can even come up with would be bantam rhode island red or white laced Cornish. Or, a really runty full-sized chick.
    Whatever, I now have a lot-a-lot of chicks!

OK - size comparison:
    Top view:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99626_img_3074.jpg
    Hmm. I have a bunch of HUGE ones that look like that little red broiler, as bug as the Cornish almost. And my darker ones that look like your Production red are tiny.[​IMG]

Front view:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/99626_img_3073.jpg

Production red is a bit bigger than the red broiler. Almost visible in the pictures, very apparent in you hands. [​IMG]

Cornish is huge! [​IMG]

Lorp is cute! [​IMG]

5. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:My husband bought seed this morning. A few people in our neighborhood have already scalped though I don't think anyone's planted yet. You know it's fall in the suburbs when you walk out your door and smell manure. [​IMG]

6. Tracydr

Quote:Ok, I'm totally game for this. [​IMG] I often think the same thing about seeing everyone's coops & chickens. Plus it gives me ideas on what I could do better for my girls. I'll take pics this weekend when I'm moving my stinky chicks outside to their grow-out brooder crib. Literally, a crib!

I'll take some pics, too. Mine's pretty boring and the garden is barren right now, between summer and fall season. I'll post more when the winter garden is lush and green. Planting lots of stuff this week because the temps are finally cooling off![​IMG]

My OEGB girls are really getting red in the face. I got them mid-May. How long do you think they'll be to laying? I need to get them some nest boxes I think as they refuse to roost in the coop, sleeping in the lemon trees instead.
    Silver Leghorns and Egyptians look like they may be close behind, only three weeks younger and starting to pink up a bit. The Egyptians mature very quickly. The Egytians and Leghorns are my wild girls.[​IMG]
    Got replacements for the two Cornish and Silky that I lost with my Ideal shipment. They sent five Cornish, three Silkies, and seven unknown red chicks! [​IMG] One of the red chicks looks like a banty. Maybe a bantam RIR or WLR Cornish? I don't know many Bantam red chicks. Or maybe just a really tiny full sized chick? It's about the same size as the silky chicks.
    I have no idea what I'm going to do with all these chicks! Its a good thing I bought a giant freezer! My chicken yard is just tiny![​IMG]

7. Tracydr

You could band them, assuming their jewels aren't too big to fit through the bands yet. That's how most goat and sheep people do it if they only have a few. Buy a bander from Jeffers online. I hate banding, though, it gets all yucky and necrotic before falling off. But doesn't hurt them a bit.
    Quote:I'm so jealous you have peafowl! I could neuter your goats for you but I've only done baby lambs, we never used anesthesia on the little babies. But, $600? Holy smokes! I usually paid 75-100$ for a colt to get gelded!

I got them (against my high & mighty aunts wishes) from my Gramma's property after she died a couple months ago. My aunt was going to sell them (all 30+ and 6 babies) to the highest bidder...I figured, I'm kin & I'm taking 'em for free. So I got 2 babies, hoping I would get a male & female...looks like 2 female to me though. I was hoping to carry on her line - they were such gorgeous creatures. If I had more, I would definitely share.

As for the goats - I would totally throw those guys in the truck & haul them up to you. Paying the gas would be way cheaper than the vets price of $700 total. Cuz dang...they stink! I would do it myself, but my experience is nil...afraid I would do something wrong & hurt one of them.

8. pdx2phx

pdx2phx Chased by Chickens

Apr 12, 2010
    SE Coastal GA
    My Coop
    Quote:I got them (against my high & mighty aunts wishes) from my Gramma's property after she died a couple months ago. My aunt was going to sell them (all 30+ and 6 babies) to the highest bidder...I figured, I'm kin & I'm taking 'em for free. So I got 2 babies, hoping I would get a male & female...looks like 2 female to me though. I was hoping to carry on her line - they were such gorgeous creatures. If I had more, I would definitely share.

As for the goats - I would totally throw those guys in the truck & haul them up to you. Paying the gas would be way cheaper than the vets price of $700 total. Cuz dang...they stink! I would do it myself, but my experience is nil...afraid I would do something wrong & hurt one of them.

The banding is what I was gonna suggest too. But we always had it done on the little ones, so I didn't know if size/age would be an issue??

[​IMG] [​IMG]

good luck on your stinky boys!

9. Tracydr

Quote:They're organizing I tell you!

I'm glad everyone was o.k.

they ARE organizing, i tell you! and it's one of meg's ameraucanas that keep trying to escape by jumping up on the shade sails to fly to freedom! now really chickens, there is bird netting over your entire run so you all can stop dying a miserable death by the beagle of terror. but yet you now want to DIG your way out. silly chooks.

but yes, i am glad they are ok. well, i have one orloff that looks "off". force feed her water and tried banana, but she would have nothing to do with it. the strong survive, i cannot contine to keep running a chicken hospital. i do my best. and laree knows those orloffs are my favs [​IMG]

on another note, we are under attack by house mice in the run and coop. we have traps galore. anyone know of some organic mouse killer other than what we are already doing?

I have a very nice kitten, free! Includes a free neutering!

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Both the dellies and the EE are laying quite regular, the fluff ball hasn't as yet that we know of, but we do not monitor the pullets to see who is laying and who is not. We are getting 3 or 4 eggs a day from them now and pretty sure 2 are from the BR, one green from EE and not sure who belongs to 4th....

She is however settled in with the several week younger pullets and no one really picks on her now. The others have also settled in well and the dellie with the darker wings is now our Roo's fav....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by