Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I second the cat. My mom had mice in her house and shed until she got a cat. Schnauzers work pretty well too.

hmmm, who was it that found a cute little black kitty with white paws recently?

That would be me! He needs a lovely home. He's so sweet and is even getting used to all the dogs. He sleeps all cuddled up by me at night. And he's really getting his strength back. All the beef heart, pork and liver he's eaten this week.[​IMG]

2. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:I got them (against my high & mighty aunts wishes) from my Gramma's property after she died a couple months ago. My aunt was going to sell them (all 30+ and 6 babies) to the highest bidder...I figured, I'm kin & I'm taking 'em for free. So I got 2 babies, hoping I would get a male & female...looks like 2 female to me though. I was hoping to carry on her line - they were such gorgeous creatures. If I had more, I would definitely share.

As for the goats - I would totally throw those guys in the truck & haul them up to you. Paying the gas would be way cheaper than the vets price of $700 total. Cuz dang...they stink! I would do it myself, but my experience is nil...afraid I would do something wrong & hurt one of them.

HAHAHA [​IMG] I told my hubby this & he cringed [​IMG] He doesn't like the sound of it, but I don't like the smell of them. It's getting cooler...so that would be a good time, right?

3. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Off to PU some snake-sicles!

4. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Quote:Both the dellies and the EE are laying quite regular, the fluff ball hasn't as yet that we know of, but we do not monitor the pullets to see who is laying and who is not. We are getting 3 or 4 eggs a day from them now and pretty sure 2 are from the BR, one green from EE and not sure who belongs to 4th....

She is however settled in with the several week younger pullets and no one really picks on her now. The others have also settled in well and the dellie with the darker wings is now our Roo's fav....

so glad to hear it [​IMG]

5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Both the dellies and the EE are laying quite regular, the fluff ball hasn't as yet that we know of, but we do not monitor the pullets to see who is laying and who is not. We are getting 3 or 4 eggs a day from them now and pretty sure 2 are from the BR, one green from EE and not sure who belongs to 4th....

She is however settled in with the several week younger pullets and no one really picks on her now. The others have also settled in well and the dellie with the darker wings is now our Roo's fav....

so glad to hear it [​IMG]

Yes it is all good and they have made this their happy home now.... Thanks again for some beautiful hens! [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Thanks Mahonri! So do you think 4 in line instead of three? I've got 48". Would it be a waste? Most people here have said there is a corner or top favorite they all pile into.

Would a 15" wide box be too big and not give them that claustrophobic "boxed in" feeling?

so many questions...

I think Gallo's circle entrances look cool too. I was also thinking of making the bottom of the nesting boxes hinge downwards as well as the tops lifting up. Might make it easier to clean them out if I could just drop the front edge of the bottom into a container and spray it off as it was hanging there.

How big are your birds? If you have bantams, I'd suggest going with the 12" boxes. For larger birds upping the size would make sense.

I do like the idea of hinging that bottom lip to make cleaning easier.

7. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Thanks Mahonri! So do you think 4 in line instead of three? I've got 48". Would it be a waste? Most people here have said there is a corner or top favorite they all pile into.

Would a 15" wide box be too big and not give them that claustrophobic "boxed in" feeling?

so many questions...

I think Gallo's circle entrances look cool too. I was also thinking of making the bottom of the nesting boxes hinge downwards as well as the tops lifting up. Might make it easier to clean them out if I could just drop the front edge of the bottom into a container and spray it off as it was hanging there.

How big are your birds? If you have bantams, I'd suggest going with the 12" boxes. For larger birds upping the size would make sense.

I do like the idea of hinging that bottom lip to make cleaning easier.

They are baseball and softball size now but from what I hear they're gonna get much, much bigger. Production Reds, Australorps & Barred Rocks. Bigger boxes it is!

8. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    They like a nice cozy nest box from we have found by trial and error... We use 12 x 12x 14 deep.... FWIW.

9. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Must have missed a couple of pages worth of posts. Last I saw were posts on stinky male goats.
    Then Mikey pops up with this. Couldn't imagine what in the heck was wrong with those goats and knew you were never going to get a ring on them.
    After the second sentence realized my misunderstanding. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:

10. Mikey D

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by