Quote:
They're organizing I tell you!

yuckyuck.gif

a la Hogan's Heroes?
gig.gif

Quote:
They're organizing I tell you!

I'm glad everyone was o.k.

they ARE organizing, i tell you! and it's one of meg's ameraucanas that keep trying to escape by jumping up on the shade sails to fly to freedom! now really chickens, there is bird netting over your entire run so you all can stop dying a miserable death by the beagle of terror. but yet you now want to DIG your way out. silly chooks.

but yes, i am glad they are ok. well, i have one orloff that looks "off". force feed her water and tried banana, but she would have nothing to do with it. the strong survive, i cannot contine to keep running a chicken hospital. i do my best. and laree knows those orloffs are my favs
love.gif

on another note, we are under attack by house mice in the run and coop. we have traps galore. anyone know of some organic mouse killer other than what we are already doing?

Oh dear, they really are "hatching" a scheme to get out!
lau.gif
Launching via shade sails!
I'm glad they are ok, and now I am worried about going out of town next weekend, even with a housesitter!

I hope your orloff makes a speedy recovery.
hugs.gif
They are really interesting, beautiful birds. Are yours interactive?

RE the mice: you may be able to use grits, I think. It works for the little ground squirrels, by swelling, so not pretty, but at least not toxic if your other animals (chickens included) eat the grits or the sick rodent.

Quote:
they ARE organizing, i tell you! and it's one of meg's ameraucanas that keep trying to escape by jumping up on the shade sails to fly to freedom! now really chickens, there is bird netting over your entire run so you all can stop dying a miserable death by the beagle of terror. but yet you now want to DIG your way out. silly chooks.

but yes, i am glad they are ok. well, i have one orloff that looks "off". force feed her water and tried banana, but she would have nothing to do with it. the strong survive, i cannot contine to keep running a chicken hospital. i do my best. and laree knows those orloffs are my favs
love.gif

on another note, we are under attack by house mice in the run and coop. we have traps galore. anyone know of some organic mouse killer other than what we are already doing?

lau.gif
I'm glad they are ok, and now I am worried about going out of town next weekend, even with a housesitter!

hugs.gif

RE the mice: you may be able to use grits, I think. It works for the little ground squirrels, by swelling, so not pretty, but at least not toxic if your other animals (chickens included) eat the grits or the sick rodent.

I second the cat. My mom had mice in her house and shed until she got a cat. Schnauzers work pretty well too.

Quote:
lau.gif

hugs.gif

I second the cat. My mom had mice in her house and shed until she got a cat. Schnauzers work pretty well too.

hmmm, who was it that found a cute little black kitty with white paws recently?

Just over twenty-four hours as a chicken mama and I found my first egg! Got home from work tonight and the girls were cozied up together in their coop. I checked on them with a flashlight, and I couldn't believe it when I saw what was lying next to Eleanor (our Brahma), all brown and smooth and perfect. So happy! What a great feeling to find your first egg!

By the way,

the DH decided that we needed to drive to Waddel to pick up some Seramas today...so we did! Does anyone on here live in Waddel and raise seramas? I would have asked on here ahead of time but he just got a wild hair and off we went.

They are settling in, and are SO TEENY and SO CUTE. Will get some pictures up once they are a little more settled.

Our two silkie/serama mixes are growing like weeds and I am hoping they're not both roos! One is, and the other (the solid grey one with grey skin/beak etc) looks like it's getting a bit of a bump above it's beak. But the all grey color makes it hard to see what's going on. I hope it's a pullet! The cockerel is so sweet and started trying to crow at 4.5 weeks! (SQueeeeeeeeEEK!)

He sounds like a tiny raptor... if he never got any louder we could swing it I think. I bet he's going to grow a lot more though
sad.png

Welcome all new folks!

welcome-byc.gif

I am totally iniciated into the chicken owner world now. I made it through the ritual of operating on a bumble foot. The grossness factor
sickbyc.gif
was way higher on the scale than I expected. It felt like a rite of passage
big_smile.png
. There is no way back now. I am a complete chickaneer for life!
th.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I did indeed!

mx10l2.jpg

Can't wait for my husband to get home...I called him and he was so excited, he sounded like a little kid. Yay egg!

Back
Top Bottom