Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Feathers take about 6 weeks to regrow, but if not plucked out, they will not regrow until the next molt. Lots of birds molting right now, so that could be part of it. I put down fresh shavings and in a couple of days it looks like a pillow explosion.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Bummer, Bummer, Bummer.....I picked up 200 lbs this morning..... Grrrr... Hopefully they will eat it. They really aren't laying right now anyway, 9 eggs today out of 20ish that should be laying. It's still in the back of the SUV, didn't feel like messing with it in the rain. Tomorrow morning I will open a bag and see what it looks like.

I hear allot from both sides about the Purina feeds and since they are giving me the 60 day challenge coupons I will give it a try. Some praise it some hate it and we'll see how it goes....

Maybe it will grow feathers on our bald rescue hens..... [​IMG]

More to come [​IMG]

Give them lots of good oil seeds and extra protein. Sunflower and safflower seed, flax seed or oil, canola oil. Leftover meat, or even purchase inexpensive cuts for them, canned fish as long as no salt is added.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Every time I have tried sprouting anything it has gone bad (rotten/spoiled) before sprouting [​IMG]

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    When giving chickens sunflower and safflower, is it with the shell on?

I've never seen safflower without shell.

It's in my parakeet seed, and none will eat it, so it would be nice to be able to give it to chickens and not have to waste it! [​IMG]

5. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Hmmmm....

Were they in bright light? And were they rinsed often?

The only one's ive had sour were ones I forgot to rinse. I keep them on the counter out of sunlight, but it's not dark due to kitchen light.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would like to find him a home. Thanks!

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:My sprouting is going well. I sprouted mung beans, wheat & fenugreek. My oldest daughter loved them! She reluctantly shared with the chickens [​IMG] We're batches going about every 4 days. She wanted to leave some of the mung beans in the jar to see how big they'd get...well she got mini trees [​IMG]

LOL!
    That's great your daughter loved them and shared eventually. [​IMG]

Trees! [​IMG] I'm not surprised! some of the mung beans in that jar just did not want to come out! LOL! I'm going to throw some in the garden and see what happens.

I will start some today. Then try and remember a new batch every few days. I also have parakeets and a few other birds eating them.

I need to get wheat and fenugreek still. I did get lentils to try.

8. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sprouts are going well, I need to start some more. Thinking about doing bigger batches of wheat for the adult flock, since I just purchased a cheap bag of whole wheat at Highley for them.
    The sprouts I've had go bad I forgot to rinse as well. I would like to find an inexpensive preservative. Grapefruit extract is supposed to work but I bet it's expensive. I'm going to check next time I'm at Sprouts.

9. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:My sprouting is going well. I sprouted mung beans, wheat & fenugreek. My oldest daughter loved them! She reluctantly shared with the chickens [​IMG] We're batches going about every 4 days. She wanted to leave some of the mung beans in the jar to see how big they'd get...well she got mini trees [​IMG]

LOL!
    That's great your daughter loved them and shared eventually. [​IMG]

Trees! [​IMG] I'm not surprised! some of the mung beans in that jar just did not want to come out! LOL! I'm going to throw some in the garden and see what happens.

I will start some today. Then try and remember a new batch every few days. I also have parakeets and a few other birds eating them.

I need to get wheat and fenugreek still. I did get lentils to try.

I tried millet - but it soured & smelled horrible after the first day. The favorite so far has been the mung beans [​IMG] I'm glad I decided to give it a go.

10. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by