Arizona Chickens

Quote:
Aren't her girls just adorable? My girls couldn't stop talking about how "cutie" they were
smile.png

Quote:
Nope, same temperatures. IMO, silkie feathers tend to be better insulators than regular feathers...unless they are wet, in which case they do nothing. I always keep chicks inside for the first few weeks (unless they have a mama hen). During the summer I would usually remove the heat lamp after the first week or week and a half. We keep the house at the high 70s in the summer. Anyways, I adjust temperature by ear (or rather by chick behavior), and usually don't actually measure the brooder temp.

Thanks. That's just what I was wondering. I've pretty much removed the heat lamp and they just have a regular light now with brooder temps around 80 at one week. They're doing great. Will need to kick the Cornish out soon, guess I need to make another little tractor or see if they'll get along with they're older brothers and sisters.

Quote:
Aren't her girls just adorable? My girls couldn't stop talking about how "cutie" they were
smile.png

Thanks guys. They were not very cute by 9pm when we still hadn't made it home yet. My oldest loved Laree's youngest. What a cutie.
Me and my husbnad were talking about Laree's kitchen counters the whole way home....AWESOME!!! Laree the house and coop where fine. Your house looked like mine on my best days!

AND....The only reason I mentioned the show in Feb. instead of the state fair...is because I wont be there for the state fair to meet everyone.

Last edited:
Who is it that has the silkie/serama roo that can't keep a roo? Told a friend about the cutie and I have a home if you need it. Send me a pm please
big_smile.png

Man -o-man we took in some rescue birds a couple weeks back, 2 BA and 2 BR and the BA are purt near bald
sad.png
No bugs, poop came back clean, PO said they were eating each others feathers. Anyway likely due to the fact they were in a 15 x 10 run with a tiny coop and no free ranging, oh how many you ask?

30 freaking 6 birds I tell ya.... We could only do 4 and took those that looked wanting to go the worst.

I try not to fall for these things, but.....

Who knows when they will re-feather, but we'll give them a chance as they are only 14 months old. Laying eggs regular as well so we'll see how they do in population
hmm.png

Oh and it is actually raining a tad in Morristown....

edit...edit....edit...

Last edited:
Quote:
Cool, I will have to look into that. I bought some Purina in Prescott awhile back but I am thinking the calcium was lower....grr can't remember now. Tomorrow I am going to the other feed store and trying their Kruse brand. I want to see how that compares to what I am getting from DD.

If it's not the organic it's not so good. I bought some and it had a lot of ashes in it. Chickens did not like it and egg production went down too. I never tried the organic but some people like it.

Bummer, Bummer, Bummer.....I picked up 200 lbs this morning..... Grrrr... Hopefully they will eat it. They really aren't laying right now anyway, 9 eggs today out of 20ish that should be laying. It's still in the back of the SUV, didn't feel like messing with it in the rain. Tomorrow morning I will open a bag and see what it looks like.

Back
Top Bottom