Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    They need 100 degrees at first, just like any other chick.

They may be more susceptable to breezes or cold snaps, since their feathers are different. BUT- if you brood them with all the other bantams, they should be fine.

2. cluckin_crazy

cluckin_crazy Green Bot

Nov 29, 2009
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Long time no post... Wondered if anyone here has bees and is willing to sell me some wax? I have a project up my sleeves...

Since I haven't checked in since I had the baby, I should let you know that mister Hartley Danger was born on August 13. Little booger wasn't so little... 9 lbs 8 oz and 22 inches of amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:Cool, I will have to look into that. I bought some Purina in Prescott awhile back but I am thinking the calcium was lower....grr can't remember now. Tomorrow I am going to the other feed store and trying their Kruse brand. I want to see how that compares to what I am getting from DD.

If it's not the organic it's not so good. I bought some and it had a lot of ashes in it. Chickens did not like it and egg production went down too. I never tried the organic but some people like it.

4. ca

ca Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    Wickenburg
    Quote:[​IMG] Boy, he is handsome! Congratulations! Do not start teaching him about chicken breeds until he is at least - say - 3 months old?

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    CLUCKIN!! AAAWWWWWW!

...what happened to bosephus?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Nope, same temperatures. IMO, silkie feathers tend to be better insulators than regular feathers...unless they are wet, in which case they do nothing. I always keep chicks inside for the first few weeks (unless they have a mama hen). During the summer I would usually remove the heat lamp after the first week or week and a half. We keep the house at the high 70s in the summer. Anyways, I adjust temperature by ear (or rather by chick behavior), and usually don't actually measure the brooder temp.

7. noisyroo

noisyroo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    New River Az
    I have a beautiful White/Black Americauna Rooster who needs a home where he won't meet the skillet or oven:)
    We are in New River and would like to send him to a home where we could visit on occasion. He's lap-trained and hand-raised.

Picture available on request.

Send me an e-mail: [email protected]

8. Arizonachicken

Arizonachicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Quote:Awwww! He is a cutie! Thanks for sharing! My baby boy was born August 11th. August was a great month for both of us!

9. tightwad

tightwad Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Quote:He is just too stinkin' adorable! Love the shot where he's showing off his muscles.

Crockett Honey in Tempe sells wax if you can't find any other. It's $5 lb/unfiltered, $5.50/filtered. I always buy some to make my hard lotion when I go in to get my honey from them.

http://shop.crocketthoney.com/Wax_c4.htm

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hey cluckin_crazy! Congratulations on the baby! I was wondering how the little scrapper was doing. What a great 500th post. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by