Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:If it's not the organic it's not so good. I bought some and it had a lot of ashes in it. Chickens did not like it and egg production went down too. I never tried the organic but some people like it.

Bummer, Bummer, Bummer.....I picked up 200 lbs this morning..... Grrrr... Hopefully they will eat it. They really aren't laying right now anyway, 9 eggs today out of 20ish that should be laying. It's still in the back of the SUV, didn't feel like messing with it in the rain. Tomorrow morning I will open a bag and see what it looks like.

I hear allot from both sides about the Purina feeds and since they are giving me the 60 day challenge coupons I will give it a try. Some praise it some hate it and we'll see how it goes....

Maybe it will grow feathers on our bald rescue hens..... [​IMG]

More to come [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    southerndesert, that's great that you helped those birds. [​IMG] Congratulations on the rain too!

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Three nights ago I was doing my weekly sunset tick-check (which has been stretching into every two weeks) and I found a nearly fully grown poultry tick below one of the roosts. [​IMG] It was the only one I found and haven't seen any since, so I'm guessing that it came from the wild birds that nest in the eucalyptus trees above the coop. I'm so glad there was only one but I'll be extra vigilant over the next few weeks.

4. Mikey D

Mikey D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Apache Junction AZ
    Quote:Yikes!

I hate ticks. We kids used to get them on occasion. Mom'd burn them off with a match head. [​IMG]

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Good Morning Everyone!

I'm getting caught up on the posts. [​IMG]
    I've been working on the aviary, getting it ready to move quail out. Only one boo boo last night, pretty good for me. [​IMG]

Cluckin Crazy Congratulations on the beautiful baby boy!
    I think the first picture screams " Ladies Look out!" and the last one says... "Look at how adorable I am ! and remember it when I'm a teen driving you nuts" [​IMG] He looks like he really likes taking pics. So cute!

Southerndesert Great job on the baby tree! Good picture! Now you'll have to share it's progress!
    I would like one, but not sure where I would put it. [​IMG]
    And bless your heart for taking the rescue chickens! Please keep us updated and post some pictures of them.

Tracydr I've heard many a horror story of birds terrorizing little dogs. I could just imagine how frustrating it would be. Parrots can be tough to get to change ways. Many are jealous.
    It's often said they need to be treated and considered the same as a child , always in the terrible 2 stage.

mclevinson Finches are next on my list! I dearly love the little birds! And doves!
    The Pink birds are fairly common, but not sold very often in pet stores. A good tame one is around $100 and pet stores just can't be bothered with them. They are more in the private trade/sale.
    They are super sweet and calm little birds and great for apartments! They mix well with finches. [​IMG]

Gallo Sorry to hear about the yucky bug! Hope that was the only one!

6. pastrymama

pastrymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Phoenix
    Mama Hen
    no luck on the manna pro, sorry. i have bit the bullet and decided to just change feed to O H Kruse. there is a place on 19th ave and greenway that will order it in, pawsitive foods, will be here today, and i buy my pine shavings and alfalfa at the tack shop at turf paradise, anything else can be bought at ranchman or petfood depot.

Tracy
    may have someone for your OEGB roo. still looking to part with him?

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    So how is everyone doing with the sprouts?
    I had a jar get a little too happy! LOL! Need to start again. I was wanting to start new every few days for a non stop supply but got off track.[​IMG]

The quail had a little trouble with the large mung bean, so i ran it through a chopper and added some hard boiled egg and they went NUTS over it!

Here's the happy Jar
    It runith over. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mob drooling! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a really nice finch mix I got at wal mart and was going to try sprouting. It has little pieces of shelled sunflower seed in it. Should I pick them out or will they be O.K?

[​IMG]

I also got a big bag of black oil sunflowers seeds to sprout, and some other finch and grass seeds from the feed store.

Need to grow some and feed green too!

8. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Quote:

9. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    Anyone need a Pet Club coupon? $10 off any purchase of $45 or more. exp. 10/31/11

Just pm me with your address and I will mail it out for ya.

10. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:My sprouting is going well. I sprouted mung beans, wheat & fenugreek. My oldest daughter loved them! She reluctantly shared with the chickens [​IMG] We're batches going about every 4 days. She wanted to leave some of the mung beans in the jar to see how big they'd get...well she got mini trees [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by