Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I wish I wish I wish I could grow my own fish.

2. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    I was just perusing good ole craigslist and saw an ad for organic feed. It says $9.50 per bag; chick start/grow 20% and corn. So I call them to see how big the bags are that're for sale. It's 40 pound bags of organic feed for $9.50...! So I ask her what's wrong with them [​IMG] And apparently they are "buggy" and she can't spray them because they're organic.

Just wondering - how many of you would buy really good organic feed on sale because it's buggy? I'm just wondering...cause I'm sure the feed is still good...just buggy?

3. tball chicky

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:Ladies & Gentlemen....Dr. Seuss has now entered the building!!! [​IMG]

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Tball I'm glad you gave it a try too! It's one of the cheapest, easiest, and healthiest treats you can give the birds!
    And boy, mung beans sprout fast! lol..

Here's some info on keeping them from souring..

Ways to Keep Sprouted Seeds fresh longer:
    If a foul odor or mold develops, discard.
    Ways to prevent spoilage (choose one or a variation of the below - whatever works best for you):
    Hydrogen Peroxide: Add 1 ounce 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 pint of water and soak the seeds overnight. Add the same amount of hydrogen peroxide each time you rinse the seeds. (It prevents bacterial growth)
    GSE: Alternatively, adding a few drops of Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) in the soaking and rinsing water will also prevent pathogens from developing. As an additional benefit, GSE also has good anti-parasitic properties.
    Buffered, Powdered Vitamin C (example Nutricology or other brand): A little powder added to the sprouting water should keep it fresh.
    Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: ACD alters pH and so is effective in killing many pathogens.
    Rinsing and draining well is very important.
    After sprouting commenced - keep refrigerated. Any surplus sprouts may be refrigerated up to two weeks.

And here's a great web site that gives tons of sprouting info.
    Including best method and soak times for many types of seeds and grains!

http://www.avianweb.com/sprouting2.html

5. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:I wouldn't buy it!

Buggy means the bugs have been eating it, so alot of it will be broken down to powder. Also, it's a huge risk of them bugs getting into other feed and your home and pantry.

I learned the hard way with parakeet seed years ago. To me it's just not worth it.

Also if it's buggy, it's a good chance it's old, stale, feed.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks so much on the great info!
    Quote:

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009

And we'll GO GO GO GO, on an adventure!

The thingamajigger is up and awaaaaaaaay!

And we'l GO GO GO GO, on an adventure!

We're playing with the Cat in a Hat TODAY!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  8. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.

And we'll GO GO GO GO, on an adventure!

The thingamajigger is up and awaaaaaaaay!

And we'l GO GO GO GO, on an adventure!

We're playing with the Cat in a Hat TODAY!

I really didn't need to see that! Now that dang song will be stuck in my head all day![​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tball chicky

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:
    Ditto! Thanks for the info...I think I soaked the millet for too long initially.

10. tball chicky

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    Quote:I wouldn't buy it!

Buggy means the bugs have been eating it, so alot of it will be broken down to powder. Also, it's a huge risk of them bugs getting into other feed and your home and pantry.

I learned the hard way with parakeet seed years ago. To me it's just not worth it.

Also if it's buggy, it's a good chance it's old, stale, feed.

No no...I'm not buying it. When she told me it was buggy, I said "oh ok, thanks. B-bye". I hate bugs (well, the unhelpful ones anyway). I was just wondering if people would actually buy it. Or if I was just being "a goody-goody". Glad I wasn't [​IMG] thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by