Arizona Chickens

HI ALL- I am still looking for a small serama hen ( locally) please let me know if you can help!!! Thanks!
bow.gif

I am not to worried about the good snakes. Rather have them around to keep the rattlers away. The chicks are pretty much in a snake proof pen. Do you think mother Cotton would alow some rotting snake to hurt her babies! You should hear her growl!

really, no one wants silkie babies?????????? i seriously need to get this brooder cleared out. i am keeping a few, but not all. it is just getting too warm up there in that brooder. so come and get your fluffsalot! the eggies came from mary robbins here on byc, i know she has some excellent bloodlines in her breeding pens. i am selling these almost 9 week old babies for just $10 because i need to clear out that brooder! i have white, buff, black and blue. this price is only on byc and the vpa.

also the salmon faverolle and easter eggers are just a year old, $15. byc and vpa price. pastrymama needs a happy fireman. i even sold a basque hen pullet yesterday
hit.gif

oh, and the hatchlings due tomorrow already have a home
celebrate.gif

SEED BOX!!!!!!! it will be delivered to the tucson area sometime in may. if you want it, come and get it now and bring it back to me before the in-laws arrive in may. tucson folks have been waiting patiently for it to come home. sorry, no deliveries. i drive a surburban and gas is $4 a gallon. you must come get it and bring it back, OR sit on my floor and take what you want
big_smile.png

Quote:
I love the idea of living roofs! When I was very young my grandmother showed me a picture of a house she lived in as a child that had a sod roof and I've been fascinated ever since. With a weird coincidence, TT! emailed me last week to bounce some ideas around for a living roof coop. I think it'd be especially hard in our climate, but I think it could be done if the coop got shade in the hottest parts of the day, say from 11am to 4pm. I agree that plant selection would be very important. I like the idea of purslane! I think that the biggest problem might be keeping chickens off the roof. The coop by Liz Jenkins in the link is BYC member Franklinchickens and from one of her last posts she said they were removing the living roof and replacing it with cedar shingles because they couldn't keep the chickens off. I've always admired that coop, especially the window she has from her home office that looks directly into her coop.

I have something somewhat similar on top of a tortoise burrow. I made it last fall and planted it with cuttings from very drought tolerant succulents and cacti I could gather from around the yard. It suffered from lack of watering over the winter, but it's hanging in there. It's made with a single layer of concrete blocks with a plywood cap, a layer of plastic, rocks around the edge and about 8" of soil on top. It's in the shade of a mesquite tree and faces east so it's fairly protected and only gets morning sun. We'll see how it fares in the summer heat. I had to work wire in around it to keep the chickens out. They just love the succulents. Not exactly a living roof coop, but a shorter, more compact facsimile.

I would think you would want plants that don't interest chickens--as I assume the goal is to keep their housing more insulated, as well as more attractive. My worry about cactus is whether they would be injured by the needles (think infections and bumble foot) before they realized that he roof is NOT a good place to land. Also wouldn't want jumping cactus to turn into "dropping" cactus--just waiting for me to go up to the coop to drop on my foot. I do have some excessively drought tolerant agaves (I dug one up and tossed it in a small clay pot with just the dirt that was covering its roots. Didn't water it for at least two years. It is STILL growing, and it getting pretty large, now.

The turtle's mound is lovely!

Back
Top Bottom