Arizona Chickens

Yes, I have finally made peace with water use and fruit trees. And using water for something "useless" like lawn. Never had a grass until last spring, and that tiny patch was the most used part of the yard last year!

Okay, so I butchered some CX a couple of weeks ago. As I was butchering, I put their feet up on a ledge on my garden shelf (where I process). I'm still too prissy to use feet in stock...but I can at least consider it nowadays. Anyway, I forgot about the **** things. Yesterday, I finally noticed the gnarly things up there, and guess what? They pretty much looked just like the chicken feet sold at pet food stores and the feed stores as dog treats. Threw one each to my pups, and they loved them. Still had a major ew factor, for sure!

I think I'll do a few CX this weekend, and the rest next weekend. Then it's the long-haul, waiting for the brahmas to get big.

Well I woke up this morning and the gold laced wyandotte had poop stuck to her backside.. so i got a warm washcloth and set it up next to it for awhile while i got out some olive oil... cleaned it off and put olive oil around her butt... also put a little on all the chicks vent areas... then got some whole oats and grinded them up..and put it on top of their feed and put the rest in a zip lock baggie... then went outside grabbed a shovel and pulled up a small area of grass and dirt and set it inside the brooder.. and mixed up a electrolight & probiotic and mixed with their water..

My mothers is free of her mortal body and is with God.
Another new fledgling "Cause them to enter the garden of happiness, cleanse them with the most pure water, and grant them to behold Thy splendors on the loftiest mount."
hugs.gif

Well I woke up this morning and the gold laced wyandotte had poop stuck to her backside.. so i got a warm washcloth and set it up next to it for awhile while i got out some olive oil... cleaned it off and put olive oil around her butt... also put a little on all the chicks vent areas... then got some whole oats and grinded them up..and put it on top of their feed and put the rest in a zip lock baggie... then went outside grabbed a shovel and pulled up a small area of grass and dirt and set it inside the brooder.. and mixed up a electrolight & probiotic and mixed with their water..
For people with pug dogs - when they get a new pug and fall insanely in love with them it is said they were "pugged". I believe you have been "chickened" - I totally enjoy and spoil my hens but I've never done crazy stuff - like grinding whole oats - for the new chicks!! I've always just lived with their very complete feed until they are a couple weeks old. I love it that you are enjoying them so. Glad you were able to take care of the Wyandotte's pasty butt. I hate that that happens to them - its gotta hurt. Just keep on enjoying!!

For people with pug dogs - when they get a new pug and fall insanely in love with them it is said they were "pugged". I believe you have been "chickened" - I totally enjoy and spoil my hens but I've never done crazy stuff - like grinding whole oats - for the new chicks!! I've always just lived with their very complete feed until they are a couple weeks old. I love it that you are enjoying them so. Glad you were able to take care of the Wyandotte's pasty butt. I hate that that happens to them - its gotta hurt. Just keep on enjoying!!
Heeehe ive always spoiled my animals.. i take care of them better than i prolly take care of myself... im one of those humans that just care for everyone and everything so much... ill give them the shirt off my back if needed. I heard giving them ground oats would help keep pasty butts down.. so since i only had whole oats i grinded them up a bit for them..

Last edited:
Hi
big_smile.png
, I live in Prescott Valley, less hot here than down in Phoenix. I originally bought my chicks and raised them from Washington State. I brought them here over the summer and they been doing pretty well. I'm currently going to buy more chicks/chickens in hatcheries. And sorry for that chick that died.

Last edited:
Email done, not sure if I have the time to call...
Here is what I wrote;

Dear representative's,
Please support this bill, our family has been farming big and small, city and rural, for hundreds
of years. You know that my dogs and our neighbors dogs make way more noise than our
chickens do? Plus they eat all the little critters including scorpions? Bug control naturally!!
Plus their poo is fantastic for our soil!! Great for our environment! Ok , wait did I forget to
mention farm fresh eggs, daily.. Our neighborhood is one of the most densely populated area
in Arizona.. Every block in our amazing community "260+" homes has chickens.. And
that number is growing. Once you weigh the positive it is far more important to us all as a whole..
How can you go wrong?? Please do us all a service and support this important bill.

Jude 24-25 KJV
"In God we trust"
Thanks City!

I buy steel cut oats from the Organic Grocers and my chickens love that, slightly ground up. I give it to them about once a week. So far I've never ever had pasty butt. Old home remedies are sometimes better than all the new fangled stuff out on the market. I'm not against all the medications, etc. but I like to try the natural route first. Anything to keep to the total organic standards. Also into holistic/homeopathic herbal medicines. I've cured my gout an kidney stones with herbs with no side effects and far less expensive than Uloric for gout.

Back
Top Bottom