Arizona Chickens

My chickens hang out under the lemon tree too in the late afternoon. No mister system yet so I take out frozen treats instead.

Do you have it on a timer?
No, it's nothing fancy, just one of those little 20 dollar jobbers from Shopper's that you connect to a garden hose. 5 nozzles and it's attached to some of the lower branches using twist ties. I think what I'll do more permanently is build a low frame out of PVC and attach the drippers to that. Sort of like a little chicken misting station that will slip un under the canopy and give them a bunch of room to keep cool.

Someone's always home at our place, so it's not a big deal to run in and out a couple times turning it on and off.

No, it's nothing fancy, just one of those little 20 dollar jobbers from Shopper's that you connect to a garden hose. 5 nozzles and it's attached to some of the lower branches using twist ties. I think what I'll do more permanently is build a  low frame out of PVC and attach the drippers to that. Sort of like a little chicken misting station that will slip un under the canopy and give them a bunch of room to keep cool.

Someone's always home at our place, so it's not a big deal to run in and out a couple times turning it on and off.

Great idea! Thanks for the info. My husband is usually home by the hottest part of the day so he could turn it on when he checks on the herd.

Thanks again, I gotta go find him now...

I have a small misting system hung up in the far end of my chicken run. It's on a timer that we programed to go off for only those hottest hours as needed. If the day is not going to be one that will be too hot or during rain, you can always push the off button on it. It will shut it off until the following day. I also have a sun screen going over that end of the run to help keep it cooler for them.

You could put it on one of those manual timers that you can set to run for up to two hours. They are huge money savers at my place, because I am always forgetting to turn manual water systems back off. Got mine at Home Depot. It was around $15.

Good to know

Speaking of misters. I've always turned mine on once it reaches 103.
My questions is. Why does the water turn my white birds brown?
I have quail and a Royal Palm Turkey. She hangs with the chickens. But now she she looks so dirty and so do the quail.
I've had this happen to the quail out in AJ, But I'm back in Mesa now.
Do the misters or sprinklers turn anyone elses white birds brown?
Is there anything that can be done to make them pretty again? Or just wait til winter when they get all new feathers "without" water.

Back
Top Bottom