Arizona Chickens

Hi AZ peeps,

Frightening that someone moved their birds and spread disease. That is so irresponsible.

I only have one pedigreed pet, my silky terrorist and we don't have her papers. I don't care, she's my constant companion and I adore her little self. Mutts don't tend to have as many medical issues because their gene pool isn't so limited though, at least that's my experience.

I work this morning but have the afternoon off so I'll be out in the wind getting some chores done today.

Have a great day everyone :frow

I don't mind being a heinz 57 mutt. It doesn't hinder my life in any way! ;)

Me either, and I tease my son all the time that he's an even bigger mutt than I am because he's got his father's genetics in him too. There was a bit of a scare when I was pregnant with him though. We had to undergo special genetics testing to make sure he wasn't afflicted with Tay Sachs disease as a result of our combined genetics. That was a tense few weeks.

Maybe we need to start a "Mutt's Club" lol.. Hope all of you are staying warm today and out of the wind the best you can, it's blowing like crazy here, 19 mph with gusts up to 40 according to hubby. My girls are trying to pick up speed in their laying, collected 6 today :) , slow for having 12 girls laying age, but better than it had been.

20190120_142200_Signature.jpg

We added a gravity feeder to the coop yesterday. It holds quite a bit of food!

Fugly was chasing off small birds from the morning feed, crowing at them and letting them know who's boss. I told him he was a good boy and snuck him some mealworms when the girls weren't looking.

It was already too windy to rake the yard when I got off work so I'm staying in the house. Made some banana bread and played with the dogs for a while instead.

What's everyone doing today?

I've got hamburger defrosting for spaghetti tonight, been out and checked on the children, 6 eggs today :) , We put in a couple of those pvc feeders, my little heathens slung food out of them, all over the floor, I think we had it down to far.. I've got hanging feeders now that I am going to have to readjust, they'd been doing good and not slinging feed and they are back to it again.. I do like the pvc because they hold so much. Hubby has just shaken his head at me, I had to confess to ordering a 24 count incubator, lol.. My excuse? I'm hatching a lot of eggs for others. I bought the humidikit and testing it out right now on a set of six.. so far so good, it's keeping the humidity right around 55.

Does anyone vaccinate for the new castle ? I have such a small flock wondering if we could share. I think it’s a mist or add it to their water.

I don't vaccinate for everything, but from what I'm reading it doesn't sound like the current vaccine will be effective against this new strain.

Back
Top Bottom