Arizona Chickens

I know, I know, it is politically correct to avoid the actual word and say "Processed". The funny thing is that kids are consistent . . . they quit eating chicken nuggets, too! One is in her 30's now, still pretty much vegetarian. It is good to know where your food comes from. I am one of those many who order straight run and eat the boys. I just wanted to mention to BlueBaby that some hatches can be heavy on the boys. Those boys were too cute. I usually keep these opinions over on the meat threads.

Funny, I was having this convo with one of my sisters yesterday. She said she couldn't eat anything she was on a first name basis with. I told her that pets have names, food doesn't.
She doesn't think about it and can live with that. The other sister will go fishing, catch the fish, throw it back and then cook fish she bought from the store for dinner :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
So true in our culture. BTW, I ate the little chickens and they tasted good. Kids got Peanut Butter & jelly sandwiches 'cause I am not cooking twice. And am not wasting all the work I did raising the cockerels.

Funny, I was having this convo with one of my sisters yesterday. She said she couldn't eat anything she was on a first name basis with. I told her that pets have names, food doesn't.
She doesn't think about it and can live with that. The other sister will go fishing, catch the fish, throw it back and then cook fish she bought from the store for dinner :rolleyes:
So true in our culture. BTW, I ate the little chickens and they tasted good. Kids got Peanut Butter & jelly sandwiches 'cause I am not cooking twice. And am not wasting all the work I did raising the cockerels.[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's what I did. My grandson adked where one of the roosters was and my husband said we'd had him in enchiladas. Grandson was appalled. Hubs asked him where he thought chicken nuggets come from...grandsons response: in box from McDonald's with a toy, duh!

So true in our culture. BTW, I ate the little chickens and they tasted good. Kids got Peanut Butter & jelly sandwiches 'cause I am not cooking twice. And am not wasting all the work I did raising the cockerels.

Yup, that's what I did. My grandson adked where one of the roosters was and my husband said we'd had him in enchiladas. Grandson was appalled. Hubs asked him where he thought chicken nuggets come from...grandsons response: in box from McDonald's with a toy, duh![/QUOTE]
It might process McDonald's sales, but I think all food should have a "truth in labeling" picture of the animal it actually came from.

Weird question but can a chicken’s feathers change color over time? My RIR is looking like her back feathers are going buff/blonde. At first I thought she was dirty from dust bathing, but upon closer observation it looks like her feathers are just growing in lighter? Is this a thing?
In other news, the flock is doing well after the loss of Stunts. We decided to remove the peepers off of Reese the barred rock. She had been wearing them for well over a year and I was curious to see if she would still be a bully. So far she’s been nothing but nice! Hopefully she grew out of that aggressive phase. She looks much happier without those big peepers hiding her eyes!

Weird question but can a chicken’s feathers change color over time? My RIR is looking like her back feathers are going buff/blonde. At first I thought she was dirty from dust bathing, but upon closer observation it looks like her feathers are just growing in lighter? Is this a thing?
In other news, the flock is doing well after the loss of Stunts. We decided to remove the peepers off of Reese the barred rock. She had been wearing them for well over a year and I was curious to see if she would still be a bully. So far she’s been nothing but nice! Hopefully she grew out of that aggressive phase. She looks much happier without those big peepers hiding her eyes!
Feathers could fade as they get old, I have seen.

Reese is being nice :clap

My girls feathers seem to fade through the year...you know how the sun is here...it fades everything

I know, I know, it is politically correct to avoid the actual word and say "Processed". The funny thing is that kids are consistent . . . they quit eating chicken nuggets, too! One is in her 30's now, still pretty much vegetarian. It is good to know where your food comes from. I am one of those many who order straight run and eat the boys. I just wanted to mention to BlueBaby that some hatches can be heavy on the boys. Those boys were too cute. I usually keep these opinions over on the meat threads.[/QUOTE]

I seem to be getting fewer boy's than I used to. Maybe it's the egg's that I have been picking out to hatch? Maybe it just that certain hen's will either lay more girl than boy egg's?

I know, I know, it is politically correct to avoid the actual word and say "Processed". The funny thing is that kids are consistent . . . they quit eating chicken nuggets, too! One is in her 30's now, still pretty much vegetarian. It is good to know where your food comes from. I am one of those many who order straight run and eat the boys. I just wanted to mention to BlueBaby that some hatches can be heavy on the boys. Those boys were too cute. I usually keep these opinions over on the meat threads.

I seem to be getting fewer boy's than I used to. Maybe it's the egg's that I have been picking out to hatch? Maybe it just that certain hen's will either lay more girl than boy egg's?[/QUOTE]
If you could figure that out, you would be a millionaire! I think that it is just the small number that us backyard people hatch. If you have larger numbers, the law of averages is more reliable. Small batches can have more of one sex, the next hatch less.

It's probably a an older chicken's way of growing old and getting gray like we do.

@starri33. It occurred to me you tagged me about using the humidikit ages ago and I was going to reply but never did. I'm so sorry, my mom was losing her mind over possible breast cancer and I was distracted by that drama. Did you get it figured out?

Back
Top Bottom